Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Ash
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 14, 2015, 10:24 am   #1
DanSS
Name: Dan
Southern, Michigan USA
Milford / Skidway Lk

Ash

One more tree question. I have not looked around ash trees in a few years because most are dead now. When I was finding morels around ash, there were always different size trees around. Does anyone know if the ash has to be mature to produce morels? I found a stand of live ash, ranging from 2 to 8 in diameter. Do you think these will produce morels?
Old May 14, 2015, 10:29 am   #2
bwhetzel
Name: Brad
Northern, Indiana USA

Re: Ash

We have always had good luck with ash trees but tend to do better with mature ash trees.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:57 pm   #3
ShLUbY
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

yeah dan i always heard the more mature the ash tree the better. Sucks because we have lots of huge mature trees around here but theyre all long dead. i will say i do find some around the biggest dead ash trees later in the morel season... but i definitely do not seek out dead ash for morels. much rather hunt dead elm or white pine.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:41 am   #4
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

I hunt a couple hundred acres of land off m32 by Atlanta and I have continued to find morels by ash trees since the ash borer horror most people think they are totally dead and most are but most root systems are still alive but in an induced dormancy shocked to sleep but if you look at most of the trees they have sprouts coming from the base of the trees those are saplings that the roots are producing so what makes a morel grow by the ash tree ???? I found 300 grey shrooms by ash last year that were growing on the moss or the root beside the tree as far as the whites and yellows go oak or elm trees poplar fruit always a producer never have found a morel by pine course there is only an acre or two of pine where I hunt
Old May 15, 2015, 11:38 am   #5
DanSS
Name: Dan
Southern, Michigan USA
Milford / Skidway Lk

Thanks for the replies. I see a lot of big dead ones with 2" diameter sprouts all around the base. But have not found morel around one yet.
Old May 15, 2015, 3:10 pm   #6
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Bigger is better but I look at all. Still have luck on small trees.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:06 pm   #7
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I found two nice yellows around a 20 year-old ash tree 3 years ago in the field across from where I live...it hasn't produced any since and is now dead. Not sure how old an ash tree has to be for morels to grow around it...at least 20 years I'd say.

BTW, past experience has taught me that, at least in Manistee National Forest, that Verpas tend to grow around ash trees as well, so be sure that you are picking morels and not verpas.

Jeff O.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:58 am   #8
srashley
Name: Scott
Northern, Ohio USA
Delta

A good rule of thumb forash is if they are old enough to produce morels they are old enough to be attacked be the ash borer

I'm not trying to be funny, but I have found that nice ash trees reach 5-6 inches in diameter they jstart producing morels. I have also found that once they reach that same size the ash borer attacks them. But as stated before, if you see suckers growing from it, son,t give up on it. It still might produce.
Old May 16, 2015, 12:03 pm   #9
hartman756
Name: chris
Northern, Michigan USA
pellston

.:
but I have found that nice ash trees reach 5-6 inches in diameter they jstart producing morels.
My experience as well.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:01 pm   #10
Guido
Name: Dave
Southern, Michigan USA

I went to a spot last week that produced a lot of blacks near Ash trees last year. and did not see a single mushroom this year, because the trees had all died. Since this was a better season overall for black morels than last year, this has convinced me that, at least for the black morels, they won't grow around dead Ash trees.

Just a few...

Guido