Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Morels around St Clair County
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 17, 2015, 2:11 pm   #1
DallasW
Name: Dallas
Southern, Ontario CAN
Sarnia

Morels around St Clair County

Hey everyone,
Complete newbie (other than eating the tasty morels a friend brought be last year), and would love some tips/pointers on where to search around St Clair county in particular (or Lambton County if there are any Canadians kicking around here!).

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2015, 8:41 pm   #2
ShLUbY
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

Re: Morels around St Clair County

Dallas, there are not many people on here who are in the area that you're mentioning. I'm not trying to be rude, but just honest, no one in their right mind is going to tell you where to go and find some mushrooms. If you want to get a response from people, what you need to be asking or searching for, is what kind of habitat should you be looking for to try and find some morels so you can get out, explore, and find them on your own by piecing the puzzle together! There is 7800 or so acres of public land in st. clair county. you can go to the DNR website and find maps of state owned land. try public parks, game areas, and other public grounds. I will tell you this... st. clair county does not give up her morels easily. The soil here is very different than what is in western and northern michigan. I will also say this... do your homework, search the forums, and find the information about how morels function. If people can tell that you're trying to learn, rather than just seeking a spot, they will be more inclined to help you out. That's how i learned how to approach obtaining information on sites. The people here are very very knowledgable, willing to share information from their own experiences, and there are lots of great individuals on this site. I will also say this... if you want to find some morels around your area you better get your butt moving because the season is going to shut down in 2 weeks or less in SE MI!! There is a TON of info about what kind of trees to search around to find morels (tip=trees). learn your trees and you will eventually have success. it also doesnt hurt to send people a private message as they may be more willing to share something with you in a non public part of the site. Good Luck to you, and I hope to see you around the forum!
Old May 18, 2015, 8:41 am   #3
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

Re: Morels around St Clair County

Loamy soil ash trees dead elm and poplar tree for grey and yellow even white pine blacks are probly done but they are the easiest to find growing almost anywhere really is no rhyme or reason why or where the black mushrooms grow but unlike yellow and grey they will reproduce in the same area for years elm trees only produce a couple years before they stop ash trees if your lucky to find some not dead will produce yearly good luck!!!