Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Opinion of the conditions...
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 25, 2015, 11:30 am   #1
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Opinion of the conditions...

Was it a good year? Mine ran small and we're not as concentrated as usual. Blacks got huge yellows ran small. North slopes early and late. Not a lot on south slopes at all. Big finds by really dead ash and not a lot by live. Some that had sucker roots had some, most did not. The woods were loaded with people but areas where no people sign still not producing well. What did you learn ?
Old May 25, 2015, 12:54 pm   #2
ShLUbY
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

Re: Opinion of the conditions...

I learned no matter how good you think you are, if they are not high in numbers youre just not gonna find many. Off year for sure. I saw low numbers as well as lots of ppl. After last year being a banner year for me, this year was challenging. Timing was spread like crazy between different spots, seemed to not make sense geographically. But still managed to find my share and still finding stragglers. Hate when i find a load of spent ones which i havent yet but i know its coming! Oh yeah, the growth was very lush veryquick which has been making it veryhard to hunt late like i am. Been making the lawn companies mow more often, and they are mowing over morels before they get a chance to get large! I hate that!!! But makes them spread some spores so i guess its a good thing.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:55 pm   #3
CaptainJack
Name: Andrew
Northern, Michigan USA
Petoskey

My season was pretty good. Each of my spots for blacks produced way more than usual (Though a bit late), and the late season blacks got huge. Whites are still under way (we've had 1.5 flushes, and it rained today), but like you said, not much to be had. Numbers are low, and where I got dozens of six inch whites last year I'm getting half a dozen four-inchers. I'm hoping it will change with this weather . . . Blacks were great though.

Andrew
Old May 25, 2015, 3:03 pm   #4
chuckin
Name: chuck
Central, Michigan USA
sanilac

Below average season for sure. Blacks were very plentiful up north if you hit the timing right. Yellows ran small and numbers were low. Although I did find one of my biggest yellows ever, close to 3/4 of a pound. But Im still finding yellows that are past prime without even reaching 2-3 inches tall. Some of my better spots produced very few or even none. Had to think outside the box this year for sure.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:03 pm   #5
dbrian
Name: Donna
Northern, Michigan USA

So I have had a similar experience but finally found a fresh grey today in area that normally produces lots of them. I am hoping the colder weather and previous lack of rain has just slowed things a bit here (Antrim County) and that this week will have those areas producing. That being said, I'd be interested to hear what other think? Does not see like the yellows have really popped here yet...
Old May 25, 2015, 9:02 pm   #6
srashley
Name: Scott
Northern, Ohio USA
Delta

I would agree that the yellows are still early where look in Charlevoix county. Hopefully I can get back up this week to check how it is coming. I think it'll be good his week.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:29 am   #7
bwhetzel
Name: Brad
Northern, Indiana USA

We had a very weird year as well. Not big numbers. About 300 in total but in strange spots. In Manistee we actually found fairly large yellows this weekend, they were scattered around. A few here and a couple there but on average I would say they were at least 3-4 inches. And strangely Sunday and Monday it seemed like we were the only ones in the woods. I think people gave up on Manistee thinking it was too late.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:34 pm   #8
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

Very hit and miss my usual spots didn't produce The spots that did produce were very Spotty I hunted hard in the Northeast lower for 2 1/2 days found close to 500 mushrooms if it work for one Valley producing over 250 mushrooms I would barely 200 mushrooms in fact the valley that produced the big number of mushrooms was a valley that I had walked through the last five years to get to my 200 mushrooms in fact the valley that produced the big number of mushrooms was a valley that I had walked through the last five years to get to my usual spots and produced very little in previous years nothing on the tops of the ridges where I normally found them on the tops dry weather was the major culprit I believe if the Northeast lower peninsula would have got rain last week it would've been excellent hunting for me such as the case in Ohio warm weather no rain when we did get the rain it evaporated almost as fast as it came there's always next year and like I say every year next year will be better LOL
Old May 26, 2015, 8:11 pm   #9
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Look around the aspens in the U.P. The recent rain should bring up more blacks, as I found 5 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday that were small and fresh. They were growing under an aspen tree.

Jeff O.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:29 pm   #10
jpmilo
Name: john
Southern, Michigan USA
kalamazoo

SW Michigan -Good overall. Found several areas only twenty miles apart that were up to ten days difference in timing of flushes. Call it lake effect. Good year for yellows. You needed to find and area with dead elms nearby. Similar timing as last year.

Early blacks. We never find many of the early blacks down here. Pines seem to be a key for those with productive areas.
Tried several new areas with abundant old growth tulip poplar. Nothing. Anyone else have an opinion on TP ?
But did find yellows growing in an OLD apple orchard- a first.