Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Time is moving sooooo slowww
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:39 am   #1
bwhetzel
Name: Brad
Northern, Indiana USA

Time is moving sooooo slowww

I'm just ready for the snow to come and melt. When will morel season be here next year?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:44 pm   #2
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Re: Time is moving sooooo slowww

If you're desperate, go out west to the high elevations, or go to Alaska. Though I haven't seen any this year, last year they were finding morels in Alaska in June! Morel reports seemed to disappear in late May. Either people aren't finding any way up north and in the higher elevations, or they are finding them and keeping their mouths shut, to keep everyone from flocking in and picking them all!

Jeff O.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:22 am   #3
ShLUbY
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

brad, morels aren't the only choice edible wild mushroom. there are plenty of easy to identify shrooms that are just as good or even better...!!! get out in the woods and get you some!
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:40 pm   #4
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

The morels out here in WA seem to have dried up in this heat and no rain so don't bother coming out here for morels. It's been near 90 and sunny in Tacoma for days with no end in sight but cooler in the mountains but the probl em is the lack of moisture! I hear you all are getting buckets of rain and the chants are starting.

I don't think anyone in the local mushroom club believed me when I said chants will start in late June. Mushroom season is over here until the fall rains come.

I did find a few huge coral mushrooms and some western puff balls and yellow slime molds as well as the prolific pinnicola this past week.

I'm starting to get a bit home sick especially for my stomping grounds. I have to remind myself I'm blessed to be spending 3 months in the PNW. I have been to so many places and seen so many things. I found 1051 morels and a dozen spring king boletes. The spring king is my new favorite. I wish I could find more and I keep looking despite the dry conditions.

I'll be hiking the central cascades this week. You know what's really weird here? You can hunt mushrooms in flip flops and a tank top. Not many bugs and no poison ivy!

I bet the boletes are going to be insane this year after all the rain you just had!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:25 pm   #5
bwhetzel
Name: Brad
Northern, Indiana USA

I have never hunted for anything besides morels in my entire life. The mosquitos and poison ivy is horrid down here.

What would one look for in northern Indiana this time of the year?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:38 am   #6
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

Mosquito spray and weed killer!!!! Lol if your area is anything like mine I think chants should be going