Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion I'm back and frustrated
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:08 am   #1
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

I'm back and frustrated

I've been back in Michigan for 5 days now and I haven't found a single black trumpet. I haven't even seen any dried up old bodies! Also very few chanterelles. It looks like the chanterelles are just getting started here in southern Ingham county.

What's going on? Everything is SO GREEN! It looks like early July instead of mid August.

The mosquitoes are insane!

I didn't even see any black staining polypores.

I did pick a nice Cincinnati Chicken and cooked it. YUM!

NO huckleberries again and no blackberries in my blackberry field.

I'm hoping the mushrooms are just late this year in my area. I'm usually seeing baby hens now and two years ago I picked hens on the 18th. I remember that because it's my husband's birthday.

I did see one group of old honey mushrooms. I haven't even seen any Jack-o-lanterns.

I see a few old russulas and milkies and waxy caps. A few very pretty white aminitas.

It's nice to see them after the drought conditions of Washington. I really missed seeing mushrooms in the forests.

After spending three and a half months in the Tacoma area I have a new appreciation for Michigan. I don't care to ever go back there again. I loved the mountains and all the hiking I did but the I-5 corridor is HORRIBLE! The traffic is crazy. 10 lanes of highway moving at 20mph between Seattle and Tacoma. Often times it was at a complete stop.

It didn't matter where I was in the state I rarely traveled more than 35mph. Most of the dirt roads were wash boarded so it was slow going but that is okay because there was so much to look at.

Rainier is incredibly majestic. I spent a lot of time in the Rainier area. It didn't require driving on I-5 or I-90. St. Helens was incredible and Mt. Baker was extremely beautiful! I also spent time in many non-volcanic areas such as the Olympics and Stuart ranges.

Best thing about hunting mushrooms in the PNW is you can do it in a tank top and flip flops. NO mosquitoes or poison ivy. I got my first batch of poison ivy right now, probably from pulling weeds or from tramping through my beloved woods. Poison Ivy seems to be flourishing in all this rain and heat.

Huckleberries, blueberries, salal, Oregon grape, salmonberries, thimbleberries and blackberries are some of the wild edibles I picked. Salal is pretty good when fully ripe. Oregon grape is like a bitter wild grape.

Discovered an incredible plant called Devil's Club. Every bit of it is covered in thorns. It's root is medicinal and tastes like a spicy carrot.

Now it's time to hit the woods. I'm so happy to be home with the oaks and maples and all the other hardwood deciduous trees.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:01 am   #2
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Re: I'm back and frustrated

Welcome back home to Michigan Doreen!
It's been a pretty hot summer with a dry spell for awhile. I think that is what set the chants and trumpets back, or delayed. Getting rains the last week so lawn is green again, and yes, the skeeters are avoiding the sprayer truck very well. LOL

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:39 pm   #3
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

I went searching yesterday and found two downed trees with oysters that may have been ok if I had found them when in that woods last Wednesday. I only had 2 hours to be in the woods last Wednesday so I didn't cover much territory and was looking for the black trumpets. I also found a huge downed tree covered in yellow pored chickens. They would have been good a few days ago.

Oh well. At least I found them and will check that spot next year.

An interesting thing about a Cincinnati chicken spot. I picked them in this spot in 2012 and 13 but they didn't come up in 14. Sure enough there is an old rotten one there this year. Missed it by at least a month.

I'm glad to hear things are delayed.

I did find some baby Frosts boletes yesterday. They are so cute! A few other boletes too but I don't pick them. I do love the King Bolete and see why it's such a desirable mushroom. The texture is incredible as is the flavor. I found those under a certain conifer while picking morels this spring in the east Cascades. I think it was under the Noble Fir.

Washington is really burning this year. I saw a little clip on the news last night and said OMG I was THERE! It was in the Chelan area. We picked the Duncan burn fire morels near Entiat WA. That was a treat! The things I did to pick those morels lol. Talk about filthy dirty work. Sliding down hill sides on my butt because they were way too steep to stand upright.

The fire morels will be thick next year. The question is though.... will the Rangers let anyone in to pick them? Most burns are closed to picking.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:39 pm   #4
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Few trumpets for sure. I've not found any. Usually easy but hens are coming soon.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:23 am   #5
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

So it's just not me! Good to know! I think they are coming. I have to believe. I will not give up! TRUMPETS TRUMPETS TRUMPETS .......

This year seems to be the year of the chickens in my area. I'm finding all sorts of past prime chickens. I'm taking pictures so I can check next year.

I'm really disappointed in myself. There is a downed tree that always produces chickens and I went to that area last Wed but somehow missed the tree. I found it yesterday and the chickens were past prime. I did pick a couple that were ok but missed out on the mother lode.

I like to pick them in the nubbin stage where they are squishy and juicy so I can't say I missed out on pounds of them. There's pounds of them now, that's for sure.

No signs of hens yet.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:14 am   #6
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Picked 10 lbs of fresh chickens yesterday in my neighbors yard in downtown
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:26 am   #7
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership