Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Other Type Mushroom photo's The Chicken Tree
Other Type Mushroom photo's Post only if your'e sure which mushroom it is.

Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:31 pm   #1
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

The Chicken Tree

It's been awhile so I hope I'm posting this photo correctly.

This is the Year of The Chicken Mushroom.

I have found hundreds of pounds of chicken mushrooms this year. This tree was just spectacular today. I'm pretty sure this tree also produced in 2011 but not in the years in between.

The years 2012 2013 and 2014 have been dry years. I found very few chicken mushrooms those years but TONS of hen of the woods. This year no hen of the woods yet. Is there a connection? Also it's been very light in the number of chants and trumpets and I haven't seen a single giant puffball. The poison pigskins are plentiful as usual. Also have seen a lot of Frost Boletes as usual.

Most of the chickens I found have been fanned out but still very tender. Unfortunately they are wormy. I had to toss most of the chickens I picked this year because I couldn't stomach the worms. Usually worms don't bother me much but I just couldn't skim them off while cooking .
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	chickentree.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	10248  
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:39 pm   #2
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Re: The Chicken Tree

What an awesome find!

Jeff O.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:19 pm   #3
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

It was amazing to see! It's only one of many trees this year but it was far the prettiest. A lot of Cincinnati chickens too. My phone has been really goofy so I haven't taken too many pictures since I've been back in MI.

I've seen some huge Cinci chickens. Too big to pick but I sure enjoyed smelling them and seeing them.

The tree in the picture is on a well traveled path. Must be no one else picks shrooms besides me (outside of morel season that is). I found a pair of prescription glasses on the trail. I tied them to a orange ribbon and hung them in a tree. Some utility company is doing work in the area so it could be one of the employees who put up the ribbon to mark the lines.

I hope they get returned to their owner.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:24 pm   #4
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Good point! No hens yet. And last year sucked for chickens. Hoping hens start by Friday. Great observation.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:32 am   #5
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

I had an awesome year for hens last year. Unfortunately it's because a lot of oaks are infected with oak wilt. I can't remember exactly but I found about 70 hens.

Here's something weird. My mother-in-law has iris's blooming! Gives me hope that I'll find some morels *lol*.

Actually it gives me some hope for finding the second flush of black trumpets. I have found 3 tiny fresh trumpets so I'm expecting to be able to pick some in the next few weeks.

I'm going out in awhile to check on the trumpets and check on the cinnabar chanterelles progression. I've never seen so few chanterelles! Makes me wonder how my productive spot in NC is doing.

I love this cool rainy weather we are having.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:24 am   #6
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I have seen irises bloom in the fall before, but have never found any fall morels.
I do hike in some of my morel hunting spots in the fall, but not all of them.
I also haven't been in the woods much this summer because the mosquitoes have been thick this year.
Now that it is almost September, the Deerflies should be done for the year. I don't recall ever being pestered by them after mid-August.

Jeff O.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:27 am   #7
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

Deer flies... horse flies... and the ones in between... they are horrible this year.

When I'm out in the woods I wear a pair of pants with a pair of jeans over them a long sleeve shirt and a jean jacket. Plus I have two mosquito netting face covers and gloves. It makes me wish I was back in Washington!

I'm going out for a hike in a few minutes. I'm not really expecting to find much.

I picked a few oysters yesterday and left a bunch more. That particular woods was logged 2 years ago and is really starting to produce the oysters!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:02 pm   #8
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I've seen reports on facebook that people are finding Chicken Fat Suillus now in Northern Michigan. Those occur near or under Eastern White Pine trees.

Jeff O.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:34 am   #9
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

hmmmm I made a post yesterday and it's not here.

It was about boletes. Oh well.

I'm cooking up some Piptoporus betulinus right now. Kind of bitter but the texture is amazing.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:45 am   #10
MapleRiverSalmon
Name: Wayne
Central, Michigan USA
Merrill

Nice find! What do you do with your chickens Doreen? Can't say I'm a big fan, but would love to be considering I find a ton every year and have been leaving it

I've only ever found one mushroom setting on the couch!
And that was a morel that rolled under the coffee table when I was cleaning them!