Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Why not... Season Predictions?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:12 pm   #1
MrJosePetes
Name: Josh
Central, Michigan USA
Genesee County

Why not... Season Predictions?

I've been thinking about morel season way too much the last week or so. I know it's way too early to make any accurate predictions, but let's have some fun. I wanna hear what you folks think this season will be like. Bumper crop? Bad year? How will the mild winter we've had so far affect the season? And for that matter, the ticks?What about the continued decline of the ash tree? I've only been doing this a few years and I've already noticed a lot of good ash spots drying up on me. Last year a lot of good ash spots didn't produce for me - should I expect a bounce back? I'm personally thinking of expanding/ trying different things next season: focusing much more heavily on bta early on, then for greys/yellows try to find more apple, elm, cherry, pine, etc spots. Maybe even maples although I don't know exactly what to look for to distinguish what makes them pop around maples. I've found them before but there's never a consistent pattern. Ive even heard a few of you talk about pin oak. That'd be a good thing to research more. All I know is with the ash trees on their way out, it can't hurt to look into new things. Anybody have anything they wanna add to that?

A bit of a ramble here lol. But I guess I'm just trying to get the ball rolling on some of us discussing predictions, plans, ideas... General thoughts on the upcoming season. There's still a long wait but it'll be here before we know it. Personally I'm hoping we get some snow cover shortly. There's very little snow left in my yard. If we can get some snow and have it last into March, I'll feel better about the season. Obviously the April/May rains play the biggest role. Sorry for the huge post, I'm just going crazy waiting for mushroom hunting. Hope everyone's 2016 is off to a good start.

Josh
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:15 am   #2
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Re: Why not... Season Predictions?

Depending how cold it gets the rest of the winter, and how much ice forms on the Great Lakes, the season will be earlier or later.
There isn't as much ice on Lake Michigan this year. I think the season will be a little earlier, probably starting in mid-April in Southern Michigan, late April close to Lake Michigan where it is cooler.
I have about 9 inches of snow in my yard. West Michigan was given a healthy dose of lake effect snow this past week.

Since a lot of my hunting spots contained ash trees that are now dying, I'm going to have to seek out new spots.
I found my first apple tree and Eastern White Pine morels last year, so I'll be looking for spots with E. White Pine this spring, as well as apple trees.

April 18th is my predicted date for harvesting my first morel in Berrien County.

Let's hope for April Showers, which bring May flowers...and morels!

Jeff O.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:48 am   #3
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

The Weather Channel is showing summer-like warmth in April. (Yeah, like you can trust that....they don't even know what the weather is going to be like tomorrow! )

I originally said April 18, 2016 for my predicted first morel harvest (in Berrien County) this season. I'm sticking with it.

Jeff O.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:35 pm   #4
big amish
Enhanced Membership
Name: jeff
Northern, Indiana usa
south bend

El Niņo years tend to be drier than normal which make for below average morel seasons. Doesn't really matter if it's early or late as long as we get at least average rain and no extreme high (80's) or low (20's) temperatures.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:16 am   #5
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

We've gotten plenty of snow this week, and more on the way, in SW MI.
With Lake Michigan still near 40F, I imagine the morels will start popping in mid-April in Northern IN/Southern MI.
Hopefully, we can have some decent rain this spring.
I'm still going with April 18th for my first harvest this year.

I am SO ready for winter to be done!

Jeff O.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:02 pm   #6
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

I can't take much more of winter, Jeff! It's been mild compared to the last two years but still............... I'm going stir crazy today because it's so cold and windy. We only have two or three inches of snow, it's blown so much that it's hard to tell.

We just need to get through the next couple of days and then it's supposed to warm up. Maybe Mushroom Jack will make a few videos for us to pass the time?

Maybe I'll go watch the old ones a few more times. I'd love to go look at fungi with him.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:06 am   #7
MrJosePetes
Name: Josh
Central, Michigan USA
Genesee County

Yes Jack really knows his stuff! I missed the opportunity to pick chanterelles with him by a week last summer. Hopefully this year. I'd love to meet up with more mushroom hunters from the forums!

Josh
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:05 am   #8
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

I'm not doing anything today. We could go hunt frozen oysters and velvet feet. lol
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:41 am   #9
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

I've only ever found morels under ash trees in Michigan here in Ohio we find em under elm, nut trees honeysuckle along railroad tracks and on the out skirts of woods or where crp borders a woods I have found that the morels root system will grow wherever there is not a high acidity in the ground.. But I did notice last season in Michigan there were alot of new growth on ash trees suckers and new chutes growing from bases of branches on the ash
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:50 pm   #10
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Make note of this.......
I saw sap icicles in maple trees today, indicating sap is flowing.
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...76&oe=576AF9D0

Let's see how long it is (here in Berrien Co.) between sap flowing and morels popping. There may be a connection. I've heard that the flowing of sap is a better indication of spring than a groundhog that did or did not see it's shadow.

This is also the time of the year when maple trees can be identified in Amish Country by the presence of taps and buckets. Also, nature centers often tap their Sugar Maples, Silver Maples, Black Maples, and Boxelders.

As for my first morel, I'm beginning to doubt my guess of April 18th. I think it will be earlier.
I will be checking my early spot as soon as the ground thaws and the grass starts growing. (I won't wait until April 18th!)

And as for where to find them....last year I hunted with a friend on private property near Saugatuck (Allegan Co.), and we found one under a White Pine, and several under old apple trees.

Jeff O.