Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Morel & false morel photo's False morel
Morel & false morel photo's Morels or False Morels photo's only.

Old May 10, 2016, 3:40 pm   #1
redbull6
Name: Jen
Northern, Michigan USA
Gaylord

False morel

I have found a bunch of false morels this year...when I started hunting 5 years ago it too forever to tell the difference....a lot of people on Facebook have false morels posted and need to be educated before they get sick....thought I would post a pic of a false morel....the easiest way it was for me to tell the difference is the cap is not attached on a false...it can fall off very easily...imagine it's a skirt..if you can look up the skirt it's false...also there is a white cottony substance inside the stem of false morels...the good ones are hollow....hope this helps.....I did lots of research and then after a while you can tell very easily.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	13139295_1361150277245278_940940057734860968_n.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	10539  
Old May 10, 2016, 4:47 pm   #2
chuckin
Name: chuck
Central, Michigan USA
sanilac

Re: False morel

Nice post. I try not to look at Facebook, it makes me cringe. All the pictures of morels with giant dirt balls at the base, yanked out of the ground. Piles of verpas mixed in, harvested into plastic grocery bags. I'm afraid of what is happening to morel hunting. A friend of mine says all the time that it's just a fad, and that people will lose interest. I sure hope he's right, but I don't know. I don't mind the competition, I harvest plenty. But some people just don't belong in the woods. I'm not out to offend anyone, I was a rookie once too. But I researched relentlessly, put miles on my boot leather, and soaked up knowledge like a sponge. It's all about instant gratification nowadays, and I see a new level of disrespect for nature and this land that belongs to all of us. Please people, stop the littering of our state and federal land. Harvest responsibly so as to preserve this hobby for all of us. And educate yourself before you get yourself or others sick or dead! Sorry, needed to vent for a minute... Good luck with the rest of your season redbull6
Old May 10, 2016, 7:13 pm   #3
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

I prefer to keep my morels clean lol, but I have read a lot of books and research that states pulling them does not necessarily mean damage to the root system, but ALWAYS USE A MESH BAG PEOPLE!!!
Old May 10, 2016, 7:46 pm   #4
chuckin
Central, Michigan USA
sanilac

I believe that could be true Branden. But I'm with you, I like em clean! And....If your going to cut that part off anyways, why not do it as you pick just in case! Plus if you're inexperienced, you could tell right away if you have a verpa.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:49 pm   #5
bwhetzel
Name: Brad
Northern, Indiana USA

Why does everyone feel like it's necessary to "cut" them? Why dont people just pinch them off? There is not an excuse in the world a person could have to not be able to pinch them off... You can't forget your fingers like you could a knife.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:57 pm   #6
chuckin
Central, Michigan USA
sanilac

Nothing wrong with that. I find I get a nice clean cut closer to the ground. I don't use a knife like most...I use scissors. Quick n easy. I do use your method in a pinch...
Old May 10, 2016, 11:09 pm   #7
ShLUbY
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

yea i use the old thumbnail and pinch and bend while i'm pinching. i only use a knife on the REAL BIG BOYS. oh yea :)
Old May 11, 2016, 12:36 am   #8
redbull6
Northern, Michigan USA
Gaylord

Thanks Chuck.....I totally agree with everything you said....it makes me cringe as well.....I also did so much research ....down to even learning all of my trees lol.....Happy hunting to you as well
Old May 11, 2016, 12:37 am   #9
redbull6
Northern, Michigan USA
Gaylord

I have to say I do both :)
Old May 11, 2016, 12:38 am   #10
redbull6
Northern, Michigan USA
Gaylord