Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Morel & false morel photo's Wexford County- May, 1984!
Morel & false morel photo's Morels or False Morels photo's only.

Old May 14, 2016, 8:21 pm   #1
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Wexford County- May, 1984!

For my father's funeral this coming Tuesday, the funeral home gave us several poster boards to put photos of my father and our family onto as a memorial during the service. I found one from May 1984 of my father and our cache from Wexford County in May of 1984. This was in our old motorhome, my father is laying down in the back holding some up, and my arm is coming in from the left. I remember this time because we had to stop hunting because we couldn't carry anymore. This is only a small portion of what we found that weekend. What fun it was! My mother Shirley Ochs took this photo.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	morel.84.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	10564  

Jeff O.
Old May 14, 2016, 9:01 pm   #2
ross
Name: ross
Central, Michigan USA
spring lake

Re: Wexford County- May, 1984!

Sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine a few years back. Not fun at all.
Old May 14, 2016, 9:28 pm   #3
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

Sorry to hear about your father I lost mine last year a few months before our annual trip up north, things will never be the same. Memories help me
Old May 14, 2016, 9:49 pm   #4
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Sorry to hear about your dad Jeff. Great memories !
Old May 15, 2016, 12:07 am   #5
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

We would park our motorhome at the entrance to some of the two tracks (you can't go back very far in the woods in an RV) and walk in. We would have to stop hunting and go back to the motorhome to unload our morels and go back hunting there were so many that year.
I usually carried a paper lunch sack, my dad usually had a mesh sack that we had gotten down in GA the previous Christmas season that came from Adcock Pecans in Tifton, GA. Pecans are sold in mesh sacks like onions are and make good morel hunting bags. We always went to FL to visit with my grandparents at Christmastime when I was growing up. They lived in Cadillac during the summer, and lived in Tarpon Springs, FL in the winter, moving to Largo, FL permanently around 1977. It was when they lived in Cadillac that I was exposed to morel hunting. I became hooked at a very young age!

Of course we found all of our morels in the forest around ash trees, which now are all but gone in Manistee N.F. Hopefully the Emerald Ash Borers will die off in MI and allow the young ash trees to mature and provide a host for morels for our future generations.

Jeff O.
Old May 15, 2016, 12:53 am   #6
chuckin
Name: chuck
Central, Michigan USA
sanilac

My condolences Jeff. Sounds like you have some great memories with your dad. Great picture from 84. I bet it was fun back then, without the hunting pressure of today. And the Tigers won games...
Old May 15, 2016, 1:45 am   #7
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

It WAS fun back then.
Even though it is nice to have the internet to tell you when it's time, it was probably better back then, because everyone wasn't going out at the first sign of morels and trampling the woods down.
Usually, you read about someone finding some in the hunting/fishing section of the paper, and then you went out and hoped to find some.
My parents had an old mushroom book, as I don't believe the Audubon Guide was out in the 1970's or early 1980's. I can't remember the title, but I do remember it had a picture of an immature Yellow-Orange Fly Agaric on the front of it.

I don't think as many people hunted morels then as they do today.

Jeff O.
Old May 15, 2016, 7:40 am   #8
big amish
Enhanced Membership
Name: jeff
Northern, Indiana usa
south bend

Sorry about your father. The first few years my father took me up north in the mid 80's were much better than it is now. I remember between my dad, his buddy and me we would fill two Coleman coolers during a 3 day weekend. The Dutch elm disease had just been through there.
Old May 15, 2016, 10:40 am   #9
ShLUbY
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

sorry about your dad, Jeff. I wish you and your family strength in this tough time.