Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Learning Center > Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Circular White heads & gills are they edible?
Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Not sure what mushroom it is? Post it here.

Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:31 pm   #1
Wsky
Name: Charles
Southern, Michigan USA

Circular White heads & gills are they edible?

Hello Mycologists, I found some tasty looking mushrooms growing in the yard before cleaning up the leaves that the squirrels have been eating. Instead of chopping them to bits with the mower I pulled them up and put them in a bag and harvested about three pounds worth. They smelled good, like fresh cremini mushrooms and look a lot like oysters but rounder.
According to this site's guide of edible mushrooms http://michiganmorels.com/funtalk/showthread.php?t=7617 they look like Sweet Tooths or maybe Angel Wings, except that they are perfectly white and not yellowish or mottled on top like the guide showed. Later on in the guide Sweet tooths are in a list with letters struck out. Does that mean they are not edible?

[edit: I was mistaken by the text not matching up to the pictures. According to the guide I am guessing them to be Canary Trich or Deer or Fawn Mushrooms]

Here are some pictures including a fawn who has taken up residence and seems to have lost its mother. The mushrooms are somewhat fragile and I damaged them somewhat pulling them in and out of the bag for the pictures. They were growing in clusters in the grass and were circular. Let me know if you need better pictures maybe I can fish some better intact ones out or wait until after the rain we are getting when there will be sure to be more in a couple days.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	YARDMUSHROOMS.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	10717   Click image for larger version

Name:	YARDMUSHROOMS2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	10718   Click image for larger version

Name:	YARDMUSHROOMS3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	10719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baby Deer.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	10720  

Last edited by Wsky; Oct 27, 2016 at 3:09 pm.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:41 pm   #2
Dogs4jen
Name: Jen
Northern, Michigan USA
Kingsley

Re: Are these Sweet Tooths and are they edibl

No, they are not, those have gills. Sweet tooths/hedgehogs have little spikes instead of gills. I don't know what they are, but they aren't anything I recognize as edible. I really wouldn't recommend eating them unless you want one of those Darwin awards.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:40 pm   #3
Wsky
Southern, Michigan USA

They look (and smell) so innocuous. Could they be meadow mushrooms? Oh nope.
Crud: "Remember that No Mushroom with a white cap and whitish-grey gills are to be added to your collection. - description by miker"

I'll wait a bit longer for anyone else to weigh in before I toss them. Would be a pity to waste them if they are edible. What exactly is in some mushrooms that makes them poisonous?

Oh I see what I've mistaken on the edibles page; The text descriptions don't quite match up with the photos unless you change your formatting. So I think they look like the following as those both have gills:
Canary Trich: Tricholoma flavovirens - photo by Steo
http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtal...2&d=1118243598Edible

or
Deer or Fawn mushroom: Pluteus cervinus - photo by Steo
http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtal...1&d=1402307326
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:18 am   #4
bluefinn
Enhanced Membership
Name: Rick
Northern, Ohio usa

Agree, they're not sweet tooth. Growing in clusters is a red flag. Meadows , horse & other edible lawn shrooms grow singly in fairy rings. I'm a newbie when it comes to any of these. I'm guessing not edible, maybe someone else will chime in. Do a spore print.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:46 am   #5
Wsky
Southern, Michigan USA

The clusters they were growing in were circular so could have been fairy rings? After plucking these the grass where they lay was stained white. Just wanted to add that the squirrels have been eating them.

Last edited by Wsky; Oct 27, 2016 at 3:02 pm.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:02 pm   #6
Dogs4jen
Name: Jen
Northern, Michigan USA
Kingsley

Squirrels can eat mushrooms that are poisonous to us, such as amanitas. I found a link to this booklet that might help you.
https://archive.lib.msu.edu/DMC/Ag.%.../PDF/e2777.pdf
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:36 pm   #7
Wsky
Southern, Michigan USA

Thanks. Very helpful. That's a lot of species. Still would be nice to identify these even after I toss them. Interestingly enough puff balls are edible? I have a couple large ones in the back by the wood pile. Anyone know how to prepare them?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:47 am   #8
bluefinn
Enhanced Membership
Name: Rick
Northern, Ohio usa

Re: Circular White heads & gills are they edi

They need to be pure white on the inside.Puffballs don't really have much flavor. I've cooked in a pan with butter & wasn't thrilled. I took some an old timer friend & he made them like eggplant parmagan. Breaded & fried then baked with tomato sauce & cheese. It was good. He also slices & cooks them like french toast, maple syrup & confectionairs sugar. Haven't had that one.