Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Question on foilage etc
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:28 pm   #1
MidnightAngel
Name: Dawn
Northern, Michigan USA
Grayling

Thumbs up Question on foilage etc

I know what to look for in my area, as we produce mostly blacks, but this question is for my friend in Holly, Michigan. She lives there, now I've never hunted down there, but was wondering is the foilage the same as what we look for up here when searching for blacks? I've noticed southern michigan is producing a lot of yellows and whites, not sure if there are blacks in her area. She has been hunting a state park and soggy area under leaves

Good Luck to all!! C'ya out there!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:16 pm   #2
Crazy Dave
Name: Dave
Southern, Michigan USA
Buchanan

Re: Question on foilage etc

Largely the same area's I think. "Soggy" ground, at least in my idea of the word, is a place where i don't look for Morels. Someone here has a informative post about micro-climates in Michigan and how it effects Morels. I am in the SW corner and even right around me I notice trends of early and late areas from lake effect weather. Good luck to you and your pal! BTW your avatar scares me. lol.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:13 pm   #3
MidnightAngel
Northern, Michigan USA
Grayling

LOL, being scared just means you're alive! Thank you for the info.

Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:27 am   #4
srashley
Name: Scott
Northern, Ohio USA
Delta

I live about 6 miles from the Michigan line, but I think we have a lot of the same conditions as the Detroit area.

Around here there are a few trees that aren't found in Northern Michigan. Around here Sycamores can sometimes produce yellows. Also, Tulip trees, especially when mixed with Black Cherry trees are a good place to look for Blacks; yellows will also occasionally be found around them as well.

But the biggest producer that we have around here that most people don't look around is Pin Oak. (I do have a place around Harrison, MI that produce around Pin Oaks. I've looked for Morels for about 35 years and didn't know until about 5 years ago that Pin Oaks were a good host tree. But I have several places where I do very well around them; in one woods in which I'd looked in before and never found anything, I looked last year and checked Pin Oaks this time. I filled a laundry bag full of big yellows.

Pin oaks can be identified by their leave. They have 7 lobes like Black Oaks, but the base of the lobes are deeply pinched in toward the center of the leaf.

The tree itself can be confused with Red Oak (at least for me.) Inside the looks, they are tall and straight with fairly smooth bark. They can be identified because the older limbs that die as the tree grows in height will often leave a "stump" of a few inches. And even when they completely fall of they will leave a dimple in the trunk. Now in the open they are easy to identify. The lower limbs of the tree with point downward; the middle limbs will point straight out; and the upper limbs will point upward. This distinguishes them for the Red Oak and other varieties of Oaks. But I still struggle to identify them in the woods before they leaf out.

Anyway, those would be my suggestions.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:42 pm   #5
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

Spot on. I have been finding grey and yellow around oaks since the ash went, and I believe the morels have a more distinguished nutty flavor when found by oaks
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:02 pm   #6
srashley
Name: Scott
Northern, Ohio USA
Delta

Today I went to my earliest yellow woods. I found 40 greys and yellows. 9 of them were around Pin Oaks; the rest were around dead elm.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:49 pm   #7
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

Found some today around pin, and some near elm some just around nothing but leaves and dirt!!!!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:03 pm   #8
MidnightAngel
Northern, Michigan USA
Grayling

Excellent to know. Crawford isn't producing yet, but rosco is. I'll def be checking pin oaks.

Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:28 am   #9
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Funny... I found some today around pin oaks in the same area described as BBrue. Scott told me before and today was my first. As for holly I'm 5 minutes from there and she finds blacks around here I'll marry her! Few and far between I. This area. GREY's are popping I wouldn't even try for blacks around holly.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:14 am   #10
MidnightAngel
Northern, Michigan USA
Grayling

Good to hear, Grays, I'll let her know. By now they should be easy to see I would think.