Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Ash Trees in Northern LP
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 7, 2017, 11:00 am   #1
wingsfan8888123
Name: Nathan
Central, Michigan USA

Ash Trees in Northern LP

Is it safe to assume that the dead ash trees from the EAB are no longer producing near the 45th? I've noticed the last few years that mushroom yields around ash have decreased dramatically. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Thanks!
Old May 8, 2017, 9:05 am   #2
J&NinOntario
Name: John & Nora
Southern, Ontario Canada

Re: Ash Trees in Northern LP

Interesting post Wingsfan. Here in Ontario across the lake we have thousands of dead ash trees from the EAB...in all the years my wife and I have foraged for morels...going back about 15 years, we have never found morels specifically under or around dead ash trees as I have read about in Michigan and other areas. For our bigger finds we focus on dead elms..which are becoming fewer by the year because of Dutch Elm Disease. Beyond dead elms, under and around apple trees, spruce and pine we seem to do ok...and then there are the "spots"...not necessarily around or under trees that just produce year after year after year !
Old May 8, 2017, 6:51 pm   #3
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

I'm not sure anyone has ever had good luck with dead ash producing, I think once they die, the morels have no nutrients. Although the morel is a very mysterious fungi it grows where it wants to but you would have better luck by dead cottonwood than an ash
Old May 8, 2017, 10:43 pm   #4
Pat
Name: pat
Northern, Michigan usa
Traverse City

The numbers are down for me. All my spots for blacks now produce next to nothing since EAB. Now I'm faced with trying to find new spots and it hasn't been working out too well.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:10 am   #5
ShLUbY
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

keep looking. you will find them soon enough, Pat.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:05 pm   #6
wingsfan8888123
Name: Nathan
Central, Michigan USA

Thanks for your replies. Yeah, I've never found them around dead ash. I think the Ash in Northern Michigan in the last few years now are finally completely dead and not producing. Just 4 or 5 five years ago, we were getting 10-25 black morels around each mature Ash tree (that were infected but still somewhat alive).
Old May 10, 2017, 8:22 am   #7
morelmi
Name: Chris
Central, Ohio USA

My understanding is that EAB attacks ash at any age but that Dutch elm disease attacks only maturing elms. That has been my observation since there always seems to be elms dying. For me, I have been slow to recognize elms until the bark is peeling.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:47 pm   #8
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

I've seen many elms the size of a softball dead, and alot more bigger elms starting to go
Old May 13, 2017, 3:56 pm   #9
srashley
Name: Scott
Northern, Ohio USA
Delta

From my experience over the padt 12 years or so of the ash borer, the bug doesn't generally get younger tree. Once trees are at an age that one would start looking for morels around them, that's about the age the bug gets them. Around me in northwest Ohio, the borer hit and cleaned all the mature ash out several years ago. Now those younger trees are getting mature. I am hoping the bug has moved on, but I know that's wishful thinking.

At the moment I am in Georgia for my niece's graduation. I was rather taken aback when I looked out the window at the mountains and saw beautiful, healthy ash trees!. I hope they stay that way.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:23 pm   #10
MrJosePetes
Name: Josh
Central, Michigan USA
Genesee County

Yes they are toast. I only have a few that actually produce now. Give it another three years and none of them will. It's a bummer.

Josh