Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Miscellaneous Photo's Stuff I saw
Miscellaneous Photo's Non-Mushroom photographs of wildlife, kids, pets, fishing, hunting, hobbies & what have you.

Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:03 pm   #1
Ohio Transplant
Name: Rex
Southern, Ontario CA

Hi Roosevelt. You have mica caps there. They tend to fruit around dead elms during morel season.
The first photo looks like some wild violet and that tree is a big toothed aspen/poplar/popple.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 5:00 am   #2
Tracey
Name: Tracey
Southern, Michigan USA
Fairgrove

I saw a garter snake today, slip into water, to hide. I have never saw one do this... And because I was so fascinated at seeing this, I decided to taunt it for a bit, just to see how long it would stay under water. I was impressed...but was also losing valuable hunting time while playing with the snake. So that was my "learned something new today" thing
Old Apr 29, 2007, 7:47 am   #3
beastybird
Name: Mary
Southern, Wisconsin usa
milwaukee

the flowers are wood violets and they are one of my favorite spring flowers have always loved them
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:21 am   #4
Happy Trails
Name: George
Southern, Michigan USA

s69,

Mica caps - I hope you are kidding regarding being tempted to eat some, VERY BAD APPROACH toward consuming fungi. Some of the worst (deadlies) look good and taste good I am told. So, from a not so well known friend, get rid of the "half tempted" notion.

HT

Eat Dessert First, Life Is Short!
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:24 am   #5
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Roosevelt, don't waste your butter on mica caps, not worth the effort for the taste and time lost from hunting morels, plus being a member of the Inky family, alot of folks have problems digesting them,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Apr 29, 2007, 2:18 pm   #6
Paullee
Name: Paul
Central, Michigan USA

shroomer, yes on mayapples ONLY fully ripe (yellow) fruit. They make a great jam for toast on a cold winter day. Oh Yeah ! on the saddles, barbies butt to budwieser can bottom size. And I agree with HT an Miker on the mica's, not worth it. And to Tracy shhh, ya might get a nick name...Tracy "the snake Taunter". I love to learn new things too! I tossed a rock into a frog swamp to see if any frogs "splashed about" and saw a black water snake raise at least half its body up out of the water. Never knew they could do that, I apologized to it oh and BB wild ones make an neat addition to your green salads, just pick a few young ones (both flowers and leaves) from each plant. don't take the whole plant cuz violets are a favorite of mine also, Beautiful Plant!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:38 pm   #7
Happy Trails
Name: George
Southern, Michigan USA

s69,

I'm relatively sure they are semi-libra (half frees). What's puzzling is the head is so large in comparison to the stipe. The half frees I find are almost always very large stems (stipe) with a small head on the top. On the verpa, the caps are folded as opposed to the ridges on the morel. Also, if picked up by the cap it will 9 Xs out 10 separate itself from the stem. The way the stem flares out to meet the cap also suggests to me a half free. The cap (verpa) attaches directly to the apex of head of mushroom.

On second look, especially comfirmed by your first photo of single mushroom - they are half frees.

HT

Eat Dessert First, Life Is Short!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:00 pm   #8
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

I agree with ya George, I believe he found them at the early stage, the stem had not elongated in growth yet, Roosevelt, lift it by the cap, the half free will hold to the stem, if you are pulling the stem, that will cause seperation,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old May 2, 2007, 6:15 pm   #9
SWMichRealtor
Name: Ed
Southern, Michigan USA
Plainwell

That tree is a cherry, I believe, not a BTA.

no offense Rex, but look at the second picture. Those are flowers.

(ok, waiting for my forestry BEAT DOWN).

Ed
Old May 2, 2007, 7:19 pm   #10
Ohio Transplant
Name: Rex
Southern, Ontario CA

.:
Originally posted by SWMichRealtor
That tree is a cherry, I believe, not a BTA.

no offense Rex, but look at the second picture. Those are flowers.

(ok, waiting for my forestry BEAT DOWN).

Ed
No offense taken Ed. I still think it's an aspen though. Just an overexposed photograph.