Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Medical Mushroom Talk
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:49 am   #1
bunsenburner
Name: Matthew
Southern, Maine USA

Medical Mushroom Talk

The local horticulture club hosted a speaker on Medicinal Mushrooms in Portland, ME. The potential uses of a number of wood ears (e.g. Chaga, Reishi, Turkey Tail, and birch ears) were discused. I was not aware that the birch ear was one of the artifacts they found on the ice man. Those are definitely an easy find.

While I found the talk informative, the speaker seemed to feel that all things natural were good and all things man-made bad. He basically stated that it was impossible to get too much of the bioactive compound whichs could be steeped from these mushrooms. To much ying in the presentation and not enough yang for somebody who somebody who studies traditional chinese medicines. I simply feel it is just as foolish to blindly buy into coopererate claims that either organically or chemically grown foods are the greatest. Nature is the master chemist and produces all the best and worst stuff we know of.

Still interesting stuff and I'm certain there is great value in this time tested approach to health.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:26 pm   #2
Happy Trails
Name: George
Southern, Michigan USA

Maybe I'm not understanding this thread's position, but it seems to me it doesn't take much to 'overdose" on a shroom containing amatoxins.

HT

Eat Dessert First, Life Is Short!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:20 pm   #3
ahistory
Name: Stan
Central, Missouri USA
Columbia

I always enjoy reading these types of discussions. You guys are the best shroomosophers I know.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:04 am   #4
bunsenburner
Southern, Maine USA

Good points. Perhaps an instant system shutdown from the aformentioned steeped medicinals has never been documented, however I am curious if there is an understanding of the long term health effects of consistent high doses of these.

I'm guessing if you asked an old chinese wise man he'd probably say, only take this when you feel this way and have these symptoms and for this long and this much. Rather than the sort of americanized version in which the talk was presented which struck me as take this early and as often as possible.

Still interesting stuff and I wont look at a Reishi or Chaga quite the same again
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:28 am   #5
bunsenburner
Southern, Maine USA

The anti-cancer properties of Chaga have been well documented in studies carried out in Russia.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:03 am   #6
Sis
Name: Sis
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

just catchin up ya'll...love this thread ...and shroomosophers....that is just the best. and so true! hope everyone is well.
Sis
Old Feb 26, 2008, 9:59 am   #7
bunsenburner
Southern, Maine USA

Interesting tea post. Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 8:12 pm   #8
beastybird
Name: Mary
Southern, Wisconsin usa
milwaukee

I am one who drinks chaga tea on a fairly regular basis just wish I could find some here in WI --I have been purchasing mine from a guy in canada not cheap but worth it to me

Tags
chaga mushroom