Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Ethics of road troll trolling
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Mar 18, 2008, 6:41 pm   #1
Paullee
Name: Paul
Central, Michigan USA

Ethics of road troll trolling

My daughter Ariel made me evaluate the ethics of road troll trolling. The scouting method when exploring new shrooming areas. Cruise the 2tracks looking for where the shrooming trolls park (state/federal land) then quick sweep (trolling) the area for Morel sign...My daughter suggested how I would feel if someone claim jumped my spots...Hmmm. I do not think on average I would enjoy those encounters. Yet if in a known public hunting spot is it wrong? Maybe someone isn't shrooming but parked there to relieve themselves Excuse me is that a morel you are squatting over?
Old Mar 18, 2008, 8:47 pm   #2
gooch
Name: jonathan
Central, Michigan usa
walkerville

i been trolling little bit sense im staying in a different place just looking for spot that could producer maybe but yea never know till ya do some hiking. im kinda like jon there im get camo up to hide my bag if at all possible turkey season comes and i got the gun so prob some think im just out hunting or that is what i hope for lol
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:47 pm   #3
ahistory
Name: Stan
Central, Missouri USA
Columbia

Hey public land is fair game and the early bird doesn't always get the worm either. Now I won't pull up on people but I have seen hunters emerge with sacks near the river and came back the next day and tracked them back to the section they were picking. However, hunters around here will often park a good mile and a half from where they are actually looking.

I have even walked behind hunters on state land many a times. They are usually not looking at trees (or at least the right trees) and miss a lot. Last year I collected about 60 walking five minutes behind an elderly couple who happened through one of my honey holes. I met up with them on their way out. They had a good ten or so and seemed happy. I didn't show them what was in my bag since I had conveniently tucked it into my backpack.

I see nothing unethical about using my shroom knowledge to my advantage when hunting on public land.

Though it sounds like the hunting is less competitive down here. Even when I meet other hunters on the trails and in the woods, everyone seems very cordial. Maybe its all that pent up anxiety from the killer combo of morel/cabin fever.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:59 pm   #4
RPM
Name: Matt
Southern, Michigan USA

I agree with stan. State Land is fair game.
When I go up to Mesick for blacks in April my spot always has cars, vans, trucks, campers, ect. but there is SO much land. I usually walk at least 3-4 miles, always see other hunters, always (well usually) walk out with a bunch. Now, I go into the situation knowing this is a popular spot, but there is still more land than hunters.

In most other situations and circumstances, I hunt where no one else is, because it's usually where no one else wants to go!

matt
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:05 am   #5
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

My view on the matter, there are 4 types of hunters.,
1.there is the group, that have hunted the same spot for years, you always see the same vehicles there year after year, I leave these areas alone, thats their honeyholes let em have em.
2.Blind luck hunters, who just stumble around looking for em, you can tell them by their rambling paths not looking for trees, not looking for anything in general, except hoping to find some morels.
3.The tree hunters, us the people who know what to look for, get in and get out as soon as possible without being seen.
4.The SNEAKTHIEVES,the ones you take to one of your spots, and come back and raid your spots, when your not around,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:09 am   #6
RPM
Name: Matt
Southern, Michigan USA

I can't STAND those #4's ! ! ! ! ! At least call me and lets BOTH get some! Hey, it was my spot in the first place! But that's what I get for trying to be a nice guy I guess.........
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:09 am   #7
Ohio Transplant
Name: Rex
Southern, Ontario CA

hey miker. I know peeps in all those food groups.......lol
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:28 am   #8
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

But in all honesty, if you live in a popular hunting spot like chandler hills, mesick and so forth, you don't have much clasim to any state land where thousands of people gather every year for festivals and hunts, but if it is your property, post it!! If your holes are on your property, you need to protect those rights of private property, if you don't, you really can't do too much complaining, except run em of your land,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:19 am   #9
Justapickin
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

Yeah,those #4's need to be invited to a lock and sock party....
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:56 am   #10
Justapickin
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

In most of my spots I seldome see anyone but if I do......I'm a wealth of misinformation...