Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion What will a freeze do to our morels?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 14, 2008, 2:47 pm   #1
howells
Name: Amanda
Southern, Ohio USA

What will a freeze do to our morels?

Hey guys,
This just crossed my mind as I looked at the weather for southeast Ohio tonight.
It says a low of 29 with a hard freeze expected.
For the last two weeks weather down here has been beyond spectacular in my humble opinion. In the 60's-70's almost every day and the rain has made the grass grow so fast and green it looks like Ireland in the hills. I may have to mow this week, I've never mowed this early before.

So, what do you think this will do to the current and future morels this season?
I mean, I know the morels that have popped will freeze LOL but....since we have mostly early to mid blacks popping now will this mean the end of the blacks? Will we have a lull until the yellows start or will the mushrooms continue unabated? What is your experience with this?
Just curious, I have seen frosts during morel season but not particularly hard freezes.

Amanda
Old Apr 14, 2008, 2:55 pm   #2
srashley
Name: Scott
Northern, Ohio USA
Delta

In my experience, usually a hard freeze hasn't made a difference.

Last year was the exception for me. I found my first black on April 1st. A day or two later we had about 8 inches of snow that stayed on the ground about a week or better. That froze out my early spots.

Usually, however, it doesn't effect it for me.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 4:07 pm   #3
SWMichRealtor
Name: Ed
Southern, Michigan USA
Plainwell

.:
Originally posted by srashley
In my experience, usually a hard freeze hasn't made a difference.

Last year was the exception for me. I found my first black on April 1st. A day or two later we had about 8 inches of snow that stayed on the ground about a week or better. That froze out my early spots.

Usually, however, it doesn't effect it for me.
I agree with srashley.

It may stunt the growth of the blacks but I don't think a hard frost will kill them.

But last year's 3 or 4" of snow wiped out the blacks for the season.

Ed
Old Apr 14, 2008, 4:53 pm   #4
ahistory
Name: Stan
Central, Missouri USA
Columbia

If it just gets down to 29 you'll be OK, I wouldn't call that a hard freeze for morels. The temps here got down to 27 and it had no effect except a little bit of frostbite on a few of them.

Now last year's hard freeze was a true hard freeze here in Missouri. Temps got down to 22 and were below freezing for over 12 hours. Every mushroom that was exposed froze solid and then turned soggy when it thawed. The ones that were hidden under leaves though did ok and grew into yellows, but it severely reduced the amount of mushrooms that were up the last two weeks of the season.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:13 pm   #5
big amish
Enhanced Membership
Name: jeff
Northern, Indiana usa
south bend

I also agree. Last years' Easter freeze kept even daytime temps below freezing for 3 days. Ground that was already harboring morels ready to pop re-froze and resulted in very few coming up locally. I did well further north where things had not advanced far enough for the freeze to effect the morels.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:44 pm   #6
Deerslayer
Name: Mike
Northern, Michigan usa

last year was very dry here that was more of a problem than the cold nights imo, but May was very good for yellows north of me and thats where I did the best.

DS