Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Morels are for picking, not digging
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:49 pm   #1
Tracey
Name: Tracey
Southern, Michigan USA
Fairgrove

Morels are for picking, not digging

Since this is the beginning of the season and I have already seen this, I have to do this post.
I hunt public land. So it is inevitable that I will be hunting behind others.
Cups, cans and bottles are not for marking spots. If you do, know that you have just shown me your spot and I will be back there before you. I say this, so maybe you will think twice before leaving your trash.

When you find morels and dig away the leaf matter in a 3ft diameter, you are destroying their habitat. You are also covering up the morels that will be growing there in the next week or two. I know this, because I find the majority of my morels under the piles that you have created. I will never understand the purpose of digging away all the matter. If you lift the leaves where you find your morels and replace them, I will not find your spots and your future morels can grow without trying to struggle thru a pile of leaves.
I have never actually saw anyone digging these areas, but was told once by someone that this is what they do, because this is how they were taught. It just saddens me when I get into an area and see hundreds of 3ft bare spots and I see this in every place that I hunt.

Please leave the woods as you found them.
Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:39 pm   #2
Tammy
Name: Tammy
Northern, Michigan USA
Twin Lake

I'll second all of that, Tracey. Thanks for posting this!

I always carry a trash bag into the woods with me to pick up what others leave behind. It never ceases to amaze me how much trash there is. (Or how many spots we've found this way!)

If you can carry a full beer or pop into the woods, it should be much lighter to carry out...and I don't need your 10 cents deposit.

And styrofoam coffee cups aren't biodegradable...and neither are water bottles or baby diapers.

Public land is for all of us to enjoy, but it's hard to enjoy the land when it's dotted with litter.

And as for disturbing the morel habitat, the subdivisions are doing very well at destroying spots, so please, like Tracey said, please leave the woods the way you found them. Show some respect for this beautiful land we live in.

(She says as she steps down off of her soapbox...)
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:48 pm   #3
Deerslayer
Name: Mike
Northern, Michigan usa

What they said....if I see ya dumping trash or leaving it, I'll say something to ya and that's a promise
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:55 pm   #4
GABE
Name: mike
Southern, Michigan usa

Ummmm, maybe Turkeys????
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:46 pm   #5
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Its referred to as badgering, and that would put that individual who is badgering as having the mind capacity of a badger, which is nothing more than a fat stupid weasel,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:18 am   #6
Tracey
Name: Tracey
Southern, Michigan USA
Fairgrove

Not turkeys. Although I do see the markings from turkeys often. I have no problems with the turks, that's their home.

The holes I saw yesterday were done by a human male, size 10-11 shoe, age 40-80. Drinks coffee from a styrofoam Speedway cup(and leaves it) and uses a larger walking stick. Was in the woods about 3 hrs prior to my arrival. He may have been accompanied by a female using a smaller stick.(This one not sure of). But I guarantee this was human damage.
Still waiting for the appearance of my male who brings his coffee can of cigarette butts and scrapes big holes and leaves cigarette butts in the center of the holes
If you get 10 hunters in an area of 5 acres that do this, you end up with trashed woods.
I knew I should have stated that this is not from turkeys, lol.
Yes Jack, I always cover my stems :)
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:17 am   #7
wildcrafter
Name: jeff
Central, Michigan usa
eaton rapids

I beg to differ it is turkeys just the featherless kind.