Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > GARDENING + info & links Homemade Upside Down Tomato Planters
GARDENING + info & links Grab an hoe and start digging for info.

Old May 14, 2009, 9:17 am   #11
Happy Trails
Name: George
Southern, Michigan USA

Re: Homemade Upside Down Tomato Planters

Jason,

Last year was my first try on the upside down buckets, so I wouldn't call myself much more than a beginner for this approach. What you are describing sounds pretty close to my experience. They want to grow up and in doing so form a "J". I tried to help some of them by tying them to the overhead support with strips of ladies' nylons. Others, I just let grow and let nature and gravity take over. I don't know if it made much difference. I posted modifications I've made to my buckets (both dialogue and pictures) in a different thread that jon started entitled, "Garden Layout". I hope you used a determinate tomato rather than a indeterminate. That is, unless you hung them in a good tall tree and plan to pick your tomatoes on a ladder. Ha ha. I'm using Roma’s this year. One of the few hybrids I grow. Good luck and I realize our findings in playing with Mother Nature are private "cause its a secret". Honestly, I'm now growing these upside versions, due to the intrigue of it all. Something to exercise my need to use my "enginenearring" skills. I'm thinking the old tried and true methods will produce better.

I'll post pictures of my tomato setup later after I hang my upside down versions and get all the watering lines in place. The weather boys are talking frost again for next week. I grow all my maters in buckets, so I can provide new soil to them each year. Tomatoes do so much better in new soil each year in my estimation: Less disease, more vigor. Therefore, I can move them to shelter, even though I hate the thought of it.

Lezah, hmmmm? I knew a few Elizabeths: of course, in a southern tradition they always had two first names in succession - Mary Elizabeth, Elizabeth Ann. Does Lezah own up to knowing me? Somehow, I'm thinking even if she did, she would have to be hard pressed to admit it. lol

George

Eat Dessert First, Life Is Short!
Old May 15, 2009, 4:43 am   #12
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Backwards lezah. Happy, you've been hazeled! LOL

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old May 15, 2009, 8:15 am   #13
Happy Trails
Southern, Michigan USA

GOLLY!!! That's terrible. from someone who questions a good piece of beef. Or is it two pieces of beef.

HT

Old May 17, 2009, 9:18 am   #14
Happy Trails
Southern, Michigan USA

I've been known to impersonate a woman, on this site, many, many moons ago. But that was to "rib" another long timer who was posting as a secret identity. I was using the identity of "Mrs. Shadow". But, I can assure you I haven't been using the alias of lezah. Here's hoping someone fesses up or at least doesn't disclose to "your world" of fungal delights. Take care bro.

George

Old May 25, 2009, 12:48 am   #15
wtpine
Name: Donna
Central, Michigan USA

I'm with Turbo on this how did they turn out did the upside down produce well?
Old May 25, 2009, 8:11 am   #16
Happy Trails
Southern, Michigan USA

I did get e'nuf of a harvest from them that I'm trying again with modifications to the bucket. My intrigue is still with me. However, I wasn't impressed enuf to suggest not to grow tomatoes the good old fashioned way. I'll take some pictures and post them as we get into the season. Hopefully, that will help those who ae still curious.

George

Old May 26, 2009, 2:35 am   #17
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

I can see it now George.

You need to plant determinants with trellises about 7 feet tall, and hang determinants upside down over them from about 9 or 10 feet. Your drip lines will water them all.

Then post a few photo's of you and your wife on ladders, picking Maters.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here

Tags
gardening