Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > RECIPES Ribs
RECIPES Welcome to our kitchen!

Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:29 pm   #1
steo
Name: Dave
Southern, Ohio usa

Ribs

Buy one or two whole slabs of pork ribs. I've done this so many times I don't measure anything. Combine lots of salt, pepper, garlic powder, ground cayenne, http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/cayenne.htm, and what ever other dried herbs you like. I think the most important and time consuming part is how well you clean the ribs. I take a very sharp small knife and remove every single bit of fat I can get to. Go in between each bone on the inside part of the ribs and remove the thin skin like stuff to expose the meat. Once you have got nothing but meat and bones visable take the dry ingredients and rub into entire rack. Heat oven to 250 and place ribs on a large cookie sheet. After four hours remove from cookie sheet, place cookie sheet on lower rack of oven and ribs right on the upper rack. Make sure the cookie sheet is directly underneath to catch the drippings. Reduce heat to 170 and cook another six hours. Heat your favorite bbq sauce or make your own and apply right before ready to eat. I suggest not cooking with sauce applied because the meat pulls away from the bone and the texture changes. Keep any left overs in the fridge "dry". Reheat ribs and sauce seperately when you are ready for more later. Once again put the warm sauce on right before eating.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:53 pm   #2
Woodbutcher
Name: Leonard
Southern, Michigan USA
Shelby Twp.

Dave,now you got me going.........RIBS.....
After trimming,fat and bone side skin removed,i apply a dry rub to both sides and refrigirate for 24 hours.I will set up my Brinkman Sportsmans Smoker and smoke for 2 hours using Hickory.

Allow ribs to cool.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Wrap the ribs in plastic wrap (Saran),then in foil,place on baking sheet and bake for 1 1/2 hours @ 350 degrees.

Remove the ribs from the oven and allow to cool while still wrapped.
(your probably thinking Saran wrap ???? no way,it's going to MELT,it's not going to Dave)

Talk about meat falling off of the bones. I eat them dry,NO BBQ souce for this boy.

They are fantastic.

Leonard
Old Jan 15, 2005, 6:12 pm   #3
Happy Trails
Name: George
Southern, Michigan USA

The ribs sound good with either method. I use a differant approach using my Cookshack Smoker - low and slow with smoke - 225 for 5 hours w/ various hardwoods. I thought I would share a little trick on the membrane, both of you have mentioned. Just get the edge of the membrane started on one end of the rack with the tip of a knife; then grasp that flap of membrane with a dry paper towel and pull the rest of the membrane free. It's easier than you might think and much faster than trying to remove the entire thing with a knife. Try it, let me know how it works for you. Pork Fat Rules.

Happy Trails

Eat Dessert First, Life Is Short!
Old Jan 15, 2005, 6:37 pm   #4
Woodbutcher
Name: Leonard
Southern, Michigan USA
Shelby Twp.

Right on George,the membrane has to go,which ever method is used. A clean dish towel works well also.I can tolerate some fat,how else are all your joints get lubricated ??

Leonard
Old Jan 15, 2005, 9:53 pm   #5
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Folks, I also peel away the membrane skin off the bottom of the ribs, but I normally only remove the the "patches of fat", then rub the meat vigourously on both sides with my herb and spice blend,then I brush it with honey, sprinkle it with sea salt and black pepper, then wrap them in saran wrap, and allow to refrigerate overnight. Then into the smoker, with a mixture of cherrywood and applewood chips, for 2 hours at 200 degrees, then onto the rotisserrie, with my homemade "mutha" sauce,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:22 am   #6
Ohio Transplant
Name: Rex
Southern, Ontario CA

Regarding the membrane: Well, let me tell you. I've removed plenty off of venison, but the two racks O ribs I'm doing "Steortz method" took me over an hour to pick it off. I couldn't grip it with the towel and when I did it came off in tiny little pieces. Finally, after I felt I had all of the membrane off, I decided to leave the rest of the fat. Hel, wouldn't be nothin' left ifin I took off ALL the fat...........lol

Anyhow, they are in the oven for the first 4 hours............get her done.....

someone let me know when its 1:15, k?

Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:44 am   #7
Happy Trails
Southern, Michigan USA

Rex,

Have you had success removing the membrane with a towel before? If so, I wonder what was differant. I'm sitting here envying you ribs. Guess I better go to the freezer.

George

Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:11 am   #8
Ohio Transplant
Southern, Ontario CA

George, honestly, I never took the membrane off of pork ribs before. Guess I missed the boat on that one.
They sure are smelling good here.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:30 am   #9
Happy Trails
Southern, Michigan USA

I've had good success removing the membrane with a dry paper towel. I do bring the ribs up to room temperature; rinse under hot water; pat dry before pulling the membrane loose. I learned this technique from a BQ restaurateur at the following link:

http://forum.cookshackamerica.com/cg...ultimatebb.cgi

Wish we were having an east wind so I could get a whiff of those ribs.

George

Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:49 pm   #10
Ohio Transplant
Southern, Ontario CA

thank you for the tips!! These were refrigerated prior to, so that probably made a difference.

Tags
main dish, meat, pork, smoking