Ohio Transplant
Name: Rex
Southern, Ontario CA

Oh, HT, clean up that keyboard bro!!
Old Oct 31, 2005, 6:25 pm   #22
Happy Trails
Name: George
Southern, Michigan USA

I cook mine in a smoker at 225 for approximately 5 to 6 hours. I like my ribs where they bite tenderly off the bone, not "fall off in my lap" as some like them. If you like them fall off the bone, then I would foil. The way I tell when they are done to my liking is two-fold: 1) the meat pulls back at the end of the bones about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch; and 2) when I pick up the rack in the middle with tongs it just begins to droop and crack. I've got to stop. With all the moisture on my keyboard it just might short circuit.

HT

Eat Dessert First, Life Is Short!
Old Oct 31, 2005, 6:29 pm   #23
Ohio Transplant
Southern, Ontario CA

I really appreciate the fact that with this method, the meat stays on the bone, for sure. I think I might cut back the cooking time a bit next time.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 6:30 pm   #24
Happy Trails
Southern, Michigan USA

Oh, I might not be the one to listen to on the dryness. My smoker is a really tight, moist cooking oven. In fact, when I do jerky, I've got to leave the door ajar just a little to get proper drying.

HT

Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:54 pm   #25
steo
Name: Dave
Southern, Ohio usa

Well this weekend I made another batch, I followed my original directions including cooking time. After ten hours the ribs looked very dry but once they soaked in sauce my wife loved them. I ate my share with out any sauce. This may not be the best way to cook ribs but as Rex mentioned I really like gnawing the meat off the bone. Because all the fat cooks off they are probably better for you but I know the saying "pork fat rules".
Old Feb 3, 2006, 1:17 pm   #26
Happy Trails
Southern, Michigan USA

The following is a link for preparation of spares and loin (baby back) ribs that I found most helpful. Rex, I'm thinking that the first time you tried to remove the membrane just may have been that the membrane had been previously removed. This site talks to a look-a-like membrane that lies under the one to be removed that cannot be removed. Also, there is an explanation and the methodology of turning your full sparerib slabs into St Louis and Kansas City style spares that you rib aficionados might find interesting. I did.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ri...html#spareprep

HT

Old Feb 3, 2006, 1:29 pm   #27
Ohio Transplant
Southern, Ontario CA

very informative G....thanks a ton for that
Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:47 pm   #28
steo
Name: Dave
Southern, Ohio usa

Here's what was a hit for the Super Bowl. I started mid morning with some western style ribs. I took a gallon zip lock bag and added the following black pepper, garlic powder, ramp powder, dried cayenne, dried jalapeno, coriander and cumin. After mixing these all together I put the chunks of meat in one at a time and coated well. Next I used a cast iron skillet with bacon fat to sear each piece; it took three times to get them all done. As they were searing I cut up three large yellow onions into rings. I coated the bottom of a crock pot with onions and Mad Dog Ultimate Hot Sauce then put in the first layer of ribs, then more onions and sauce and so on until I had layered them all in. Last thing was added enough water to almost cover the top layer but not quite. Cooked on high for three hours then low for another three hours. I didn't take the lid off until our company showed up. There was just my wife and I and one couple. We had all kinds of appetizers, jalapeno corn muffins, baked beans etc. I was planning on sending some of the ribs home with them but there were ZERO leftover.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 2:46 pm   #29
Wanderer
Name: Viola

Ribs are on the menu for tomorow.

Tags
main dish, meat, pork, smoking