Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Cleaning morels?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:17 am   #1
KilgoreTrout
Name: Erik
Southern, Michigan USA

Cleaning morels?

Just wondering how you all clean your morels? I've been told to cut them in half and soak in salt water, stirring occasionally. This usually works to get the dirt off and bugs out. But is the salt necessary? And some mushrooms you shouldn't soak in water at all. So what's the best way to clean them?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:09 am   #2
dar44
Name: dar
Southern, Michigan usa
wolverine lake

The only time I use salt to clean the mushrooms is if I find them in SE Michigan which for some reason seem to have more bugs and dirt. When up north we just use water to clean the mushrooms. Cut each one lenghtwise before you wash.

A method we have used for several years for preserving is to dry the cut, washed morels by patting with paper towel and then put on a tray in the freezer for a short time just to get them somewhat hard. Then we use a foodsaver vacume packer and make portion size bags.

We still are eating some from last year.
Granted nothing is like fresh but these are wonderful for sauces and hold up very well. In fact, we just made up a batch of our morel sauce using dry sherry, cream, shallots, garlic and butter and spoon it over sliced tenderloin....it was fabulous.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:03 pm   #3
GABE
Name: mike
Southern, Michigan usa

.:
Originally posted by Kosmic Kimi
We do ours the way dar said but I have friends here that dry them out & store them in brown paper bags in a dark closet & they say when they eat them they get some out put em in water & they are like fresh picked but I dono cuz I only hunt them...never never never eat them no matter how they are stored or cooked
I don't think the paper bag method is wise, concerned with mold, guess it depends on the conditions they were stored.
Prefer to see a dehydrator, fan & screen or precooked in butter then frozen methods. If anyone is unfamiliar with any of these methods, please search some of the previous post or the "helpful bag of stuff" threads. C'mon guys everyone is willing to share, e-mails, pm's and general posting makes it tough to review all the questions we have addressed before. It is after all "MOREL" season.

Even though you don't " eat them no matter" that avatar still makes you one of the coolest women on the planet-nice bear. Ok in all fairness, second to Judy.

Btw: for the regulars here, my lilacs are about to bloom.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:11 pm   #4
moreladdict
Name: Nancy
Southern, Michigan USA

I soak mine in saltwater, but I'm in SE Michigan, and there are quite a few bugs if you don't. The salt seems to kill the bugs.

I've also found a salad spinner works great to get sand, dirt and bugs off of rinsed mushrooms. And it doesn't damage them.

Nancy
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:12 pm   #5
Deerslayer
Name: Mike
Northern, Michigan usa

i just rinse mine in cold water and don't worry bout the bugs...rolly poly's and slugs are pure protein and don't taste too bad if they're cooked
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:28 pm   #6
TreeTop
Name: Brett
Southern, Michigan USA

For Blacks:
Salt water overnight here too, and then another soak in fresh water. THEN I cut 'em length-wise and rinse each half under the running tap until the whole mess is piled on a paper plate. Then I fold the plate in half and sqeeze the water out and they're ready for the skillet.

For Whites:
Depends on the size, but most often we just cut 'em length-wise and run each half under the running tap. The force of the water gets most of the critters & sand out and whatever is left is just an added bit 'o energy like Deerslayer said.

Tree
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:59 am   #7
moreladdict
Name: Nancy
Southern, Michigan USA

The thought of eating bugs makes my stomach churn, so I stand by the salad spinner. Besides, watching dizzy bugs is fun.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 1:14 pm   #8
reliablefleet
Name: Becky
Southern, Michigan usa

GABE, My lilacs are starting tooo, Yiiipppeeeee.
Old May 9, 2008, 12:18 am   #9
Deerslayer
Name: Mike
Northern, Michigan usa

not a chance jon !
Old May 9, 2008, 8:13 am   #10
Justapickin
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

I don't know why everyone worrys so much about the bugs........heck I eat bugs just for the fun of it....

Tags
drying, drying mushrooms, preserving