Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Verpa's for sale ?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 3, 2008, 5:21 pm   #1
Deerslayer
Name: Mike
Northern, Michigan usa

Verpa's for sale ?

I hunted in Mesick this morning and as I was headed back north the usual 2-3 cars were at the corner of M37 & 115 with their signs and coolers selling Morels or so they say . well when I got back I received a call from jondahighlander and he seen them also but he stopped to see how much they were getting for a pound and to jons surprise the guy said $40.00 for 7 ounces of blacks...ouch ! but the real kicker was he also was selling the poisonous verpa bohemica for $20.00 a pound. when jon and his buddy told the guy he was selling poisonous mushrooms the guy simply replied "thats hogwash".

so here is my point...you better know what you are picking and eating and more importantly if your buying from a guy on a corner who could give a sheet as long as he gets his 20 spot. DO YOUR HOMEWORK or ask someone you trust what is real.
Old May 3, 2008, 5:37 pm   #2
KilgoreTrout
Name: Erik
Southern, Michigan USA

Let me get this straight one more time. All edible morels have an attached cap. The dangerous ones have a "thimble on a pencil" cap. Right?
Old May 3, 2008, 5:54 pm   #3
Deerslayer
Name: Mike
Northern, Michigan usa

.:
Originally posted by KilgoreTrout
Let me get this straight one more time. All edible morels have an attached cap. The dangerous ones have a "thimble on a pencil" cap. Right?
yes basically... also cut off a slice of the stem...if it has fibers or is not completely hollow..DON'T eat it.
Old May 3, 2008, 6:43 pm   #4
KilgoreTrout
Name: Erik
Southern, Michigan USA

Thanks. Went out today and found a ton of those with solid stems and loose caps. I didn't pick them. There were a bunch of people in the same area, so I just moved to some other spots I've found morels in. Well, later, I saw each of the people with huge bags full of "morels". Since I only found a couple of tiny blacks, I have to believe they were all false morels.

Makes me feel better cause I thought I lost my morel eyes.

I was west of Traverse City and I think we need some heat now to get them to pop.
Old May 3, 2008, 6:50 pm   #5
Merciful_Madman
Name: Tony
Northern, Michigan USA
Traverse City

verpas for sale

Here is a video about Verpas

Beware of mushrooms that do not have true pits or cavities and are smooth, brain-like and shiny. These spring mushrooms, often called "False Morels" or "Early Morels" are from either the genera Verpa or Gyromitra and though there are people who eat these mushrooms without incident, there have been fatalities from them as well. Clearly, consumption of any mushrooms from these genera can be a very dangerous practice.

In older texts Verpa bohemica and V. conica are listed as edible but new evidence is contradictory. Newer texts list Verpa bohemica (the Wrinkled Thimble Cap) as poisonous and best avoided. Symptoms include severe stomach cramps and a loss of muscle coordination.

The other so-called "Early Morels" of the genus Gyromitra, G. esculenta and G. infula contain the toxin Gyromitrin, AKA: monomethylhydrazine. Related species including G. gigas, G. korfii and the genera Verpa and Helvella may also contain traces of hydrazines. Believe it or not, monomethylhydrazine is a key component of rocket fuel. Eating mushrooms containing hydrazines raw has caused many documented fatalities (mostly in Europe.) Cooking and/or drying can remove the volatile Gyromitrin poison, hence people have eaten these mushrooms for years with no ill effects. BUT... cooking Gyromitra esculenta (pictured at lower right) can release enough toxin into the air that simply sampling the aroma of your sauté pan can lead to severe poisoning or even death.

BEST BET WITH GYROMITRA, VERPA AND HELVELLA:
Don't bother with any of them!
Cooking may not remove all of the toxin and this could result in liver damage over a period of years.
Get a good field guide and stick to the genus Morchella (the "real Morels"!) ...very safe, and very delicious.
Old May 3, 2008, 9:43 pm   #6
sherribull
Name: Sherri
Southern, Michigan usa
Linden

We thought we found some nice ones right away last year...But once I picked one I knew it was a fake by the solid stem. If your not sure its a moral give me a call and I can inspect them for you, and then you give me half your find. lol
Old May 3, 2008, 9:50 pm   #7
Justapickin
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

If they can sell Verpas and morel dirt on E-bay,then it does'nt surprize me that some joker is selling verpas road side....what does surprize me is that there are people that would buy them.....
Old May 6, 2008, 3:11 pm   #8
moreladdict
Name: Nancy
Southern, Michigan USA

We found about 15 half-free's on our property last year. I cooked them up and my husband I ate them (we didn't give any to the kids). I spent the next two days with severe stomach pain, attached to the toilet with a bucket in my hand. My husband was fine.

One of my books warns about consuming alcohol with half-frees, but my hubby had wine with his steak too, to no ill effect.

Just be careful with them, some people are not able to eat them.

Nancy
Old May 6, 2008, 3:21 pm   #9
moreladdict
Name: Nancy
Southern, Michigan USA

BTW, ebay prohibits selling ANY food item. The sellers will be warned, them removed if they are reported.

Nancy
Old May 7, 2008, 6:36 pm   #10
Tracey
Name: Tracey
Southern, Michigan USA
Fairgrove

Hahahahaha..forgot about the guy selling morel dirt on ebay!
Ya, I wrote him a nice email back then.
He wrote back...and was not very happy with me. o well.
Lol.

Tags
false morels, verpa, verpa bohemica