Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Prayer Forum - Special Requests Prayers for a friend...

Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:13 am   #1
Tammy
Name: Tammy
Northern, Michigan USA
Twin Lake

Prayers for a friend...

Jeff and I have a very dear friend (who happens to be a distant cousin) that is in need of prayers...

Barry "Griz" Hansen is 52 years old and has recently had some serious health problems. He's been overweight for many years, and was doing well to lose (140 pounds in one year!), until the past couple months. He developed some type of infection that caused 100 pounds of water to accumulate in his abdomen/chest area, which lead to kidney failure, pneumonia, as well as congestive heart failure. We nearly lost him three weeks ago...thank the Lord that he had been admitted to the hospital when he was, because he 'coded' twice the first evening. They had air-lifted him to Grand Rapids, and he was in the Cardiac Critical Care unit for two weeks on full life support.

He is now in the hospital in Muskegon, although not totally out of the woods yet...he had a trachiotomy because of lung damage, but he has lost 80 pounds of the water, his kidneys have started working on their own, and there appears to be no heart damage. Praise God that he is doing so well so fast. I am convinced it's due to all of our prayers for him...the doctors didn't give him much hope at first, but are now confident that he will be able to go home in a couple weeks, although he has a long road of respiritory therapy ahead of him. They think he may end up with the trach as a permanent thing, although we're praying for a total recovery.

He is a wonderful man...a big teddy bear...and one that would go out of his way to help anyone in need. He has never been married and has no children.

We are planning a benefit for him...Two months before he became ill, he was laid off from his job, and without being 'able' to work, he can no longer draw any unemployment benefits. Thankfully, his employer has maintained his health insurance for him (he was a very good employee), so his medical bills aren't a real big concern right now, but he didn't have much of a savings. His parents and brother have been doing what they can to help him out financially, but there is only so much they can do without putting themselves in jeopardy. He now is worried about losing his home and his vehicle, as well as worrying about the utility bills, etc. His brother has been appointed Power of attorney, and is in the process of applying for Social Security Disability for him, as he may never be able to return to work. This is why we are putting together this benefit for him...he is such a wonderful person, and it just breaks our heart to think that he could lose everything because of the timing of his illness.

Please pray that God will help to heal him further, and continue to watch over our friend...

Life is good!
Old Mar 15, 2005, 1:20 pm   #2
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Tammy I got ya's and Griz covered on my end,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:20 pm   #3
Judy
Name: Judy
Central, Michigan USA
St. Johns

Tammy, have him covered over here. He sounds like a great guy. Judy
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:20 pm   #4
Princess Roon
Name: Lisa
Central, Michigan USA
Rockford

My prayers and thoughts go out to him and you as well. Hopefully things will continue to improve.

I had a mushroom dream last night...and I could see just fine.

Lisa
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:48 am   #5
Debbie
Hostess
Name: Debbie
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Tammy, I am happy to say prayers for Barry, both health and financial wise, I hope that he will continue to heal well, so that he can return to work soon. Best of luck to him from us.
Debbie and Frank

Happy Morel Dreams!
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:49 am   #6
DGBAY
Name: Deborah
Northern, Indiana USA

Tammy,
Praying for Griz'...and for the benefit for him. I pray that you have an overwhelming turn-out at the benefit. It is very nice of you to help in that way and your life will be enriched because of it.
When a person is physically down because of health issuses, they don't need the financial issue creeping in and emotionally getting them down too, but it seems when it rains, it pours

Here is a poem that talks of faith and a chance for a brighter tomorrow:

THERE IS NEVER A DAY SO DARK AND DREARY
BUT GOD CAN MAKE IT BRIGHT
THERE IS NEVER A NIGHT SO BLACK AND VOID
BUT GOD CAN SEND HIS LIGHT
SO TAKE TO HIM THOSE HOPELESS THINGS
THAT ARE TEARING AT YOUR LIFE.....
THE HEART THAT PUTS ITS TRUST IN GOD
FINDS HELP TO MEET THE STRIFE.
by: Roxie Lusk Smith
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:15 pm   #7
morelmaniac
Name: Gina
Northern, Indiana USA

I will pray that everything turns out for the best and that God helps to send comfort to all.
MM
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:26 am   #8
Tammy
Northern, Michigan USA
Twin Lake

Quick update on our Griz...

He has been released from the hospital, and is now at his parents home for the long recovery process. He is still attached to the trach tube, as they aren't sure about long-term lung damage. He has a long road ahead of him, but he's got a postitive outlook, and is determined to beat this.

He is so very touched by all your prayers, and sends his thanks. I'm planning to print this out for him, so he can read it first-hand.

God is definitely watching out for him...with his improvement, and the way things are going so well with the benefit, there is no doubt that He is listening to our prayers, and ultimately, in control.

Thanks, all of you here, from the bottom of my heart...

Life is good!
Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:08 pm   #9
DGBAY
Name: Deborah
Northern, Indiana USA

Tammy,
Mom is still in the hospital, I am using her comp, don't want to change anything she has on here that is why is shows she is posting this reply. Mom and I certainly are glad to hear the good news. I pray that the recovery road be guided for him. Did he have to come home with the trac? My aunt had to come home from the hospital last fall with one and still has one unfortuantly for her I think it will be permant. I hope that his kidney's do function properly for him and that if dialaisis is needed that it helps him. Kidney's are a pretty scary organ to have to deal with. (Talking from experience here.."Brittaney's one kidney is doing great" Prayers are sent and God is Good All the time!
Your friend,
MM
Old Apr 12, 2005, 6:02 pm   #10
Tammy
Northern, Michigan USA
Twin Lake

Just thought I'd give you all a quick update on Griz's progress...

We had a benefit for him on April 2...the weather turned out to be awesome for an outdoor fishfry, and we had nearly 100 people there, and raised $1670.00!! He was sooooo appreciative, and got pretty emotional.

He's finally able to live back at his own home, rather than his parent's, although he'll have the trach in for a minimum of six months yet. He was a little leary about living alone at first, because of the trach and cleaning it, etc., but is getting more confident every day.

And he's driving his truck again!! He stopped over here yesterday and visited with Jeff and I...the old Griz is coming back...the sparkle is back in his eyes!

Thanks, everyone...your prayers and good wishes mean the world to us, and Griz! And he is living proof that prayers DO make a difference...when Griz went back to his family doctor last week, the doc told him he never expected to see him again (he had last seen him the day they put him on life support). God is soooo Good!!!

Jeff and Tammy

Life is good!