Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > RECIPES Morel Flavored Oil?
RECIPES Welcome to our kitchen!

Old May 15, 2008, 9:11 pm   #1
howells
Name: Amanda
Southern, Ohio USA

Morel Flavored Oil?

Has anyone ever tried putting some morels in an olive oil (or other good cooking oil) bottle and leaving it in there to flavor the oil? You know, like when you put a sprig of rosemary in an olive oil bottle to flavor the oil but only with morels instead?

I'm doing it now but I think I need some lighter flavored olive oil- either way I think it might lend a nice flavor to the cooking oil. I want to keep refilling it with oil as I use it up but I wonder how long the morels will last?!

I'd love to enjoy some morel cooking oil around Thanksgiving or Christmas!!! Maybe I'll save it for then.

Amanda
Old May 16, 2008, 1:43 pm   #2
moreladdict
Name: Nancy
Southern, Michigan USA

I think you should try it with grapeseed oil. It has no flavor on it's own, and should pick up the flavor well. My only concerns would be that you should use the oil to cook (wild mushrooms should be cooked, and I would wonder if the toxins would enter the oil) and watch out for mold.

I have bought truffle oil before, so I would think morels would work. Let me know how it goes.

Nancy
Old May 16, 2008, 3:45 pm   #3
howells
Southern, Ohio USA

I'll definitely search for the older post, thanks crazy!

I hadn't thought about the fact that they should be cooked, we won't put the oil on too many salads now! Grapeseed oil is a good idea, might get a great morel flavor into it. Thanks, Nancy!

I'm very excited to see if we taste the morel flavor in the oil, I'm planning the recipes now.

Amanda
Old May 17, 2008, 11:15 am   #4
moreladdict
Name: Nancy
Southern, Michigan USA

Hi Amanda,

My husband had an idea that will probably work well - his Dad was a chef. Put the morels in the desired amount of oil, then heat the oil on low heat to fully cook the morels, being careful to stay under the smoke point. Strain out the morels (yummy) and any peices through cheesecloth. This would solve both the uncooked and mold issues, and I think it would really intensify the flavor.

I did this for onion dip before, with vidalia onions, and both the onion dip and the resulting oil were delicious. When I find my big haul I'm going to give this a try.

Good luck!

Nancy
Old May 19, 2008, 11:05 am   #5
whiteoakart
Name:

This will work really well with dried morels, too. Maybe even better as the water is gone and the flavor is concentrated.

As Nancy wrote, cook the morels (dried, I like to crunch them up to get more surface area) in the oil, but do not overheat. Then strain out the pieces. You can put the pieces in a homemade spaghetti sauce. YUM.
Old May 22, 2008, 2:52 pm   #6
howells
Southern, Ohio USA

Thanks so much for your help Greys, Whiteoak, and Moreladdict!

Now I won't spoil the oil and the good morels in it. The way I was doing it, I don't know what would have happened.

I'm gonna do this and enjoy the oil this fall & winter!

Amanda
Old Jun 1, 2008, 10:23 pm   #7
howells
Southern, Ohio USA

Thanks, Greys!

Amanda
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:27 pm   #8
toddlap
Name: Todd
Central, Michigan USA
Mason

Re: Morel Flavored Oil?

How did this ever turn out?
Old May 16, 2010, 4:48 am   #9
Theguy
Name: Chris
Southern, Michigan USA
Garden City

Re: Morel Flavored Oil?

I fried up some morels today, I have a couple tablespoons of yummy oil in my fridge now. Save them just like bacon drippings.

I wouldn't worry about the toxins. The heat should denature them, and render them harmless.

I may not be able to find Morels well, but I am a chef, so I can cook em.

Tags
morel recipe, seasoning