Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Garmin 60CSX
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:12 am   #1
tkcenterline
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Garmin 60CSX

Well I just got a new Garmin 60CSX for POPS day. Does any one know anything about this unit-Pro and Cons?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:53 pm   #2
lmkfish
Name: Larry
Southern, Michigan usa

have had my 60 csx for over 1 year and have never lost my signal even in deep woods, steep hills, even inside my jacket pocket. best unit I have ever owned. Larry
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:55 pm   #3
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

I used it today for the first time. It was great. It has WAAS It is very heavy duty made and is actually waterproof. It is in Color and easy to read. It has a very strong signal with tree cover and clouds. Plus, it connects to the sat system as fast as when you turn it on. Everything is working great. However, I notice that when I am standing still (seating on a log) the indicator arrow still moves and drifts around the screen as much as 10 feet in a 20 feet scale. As it drifts around, it makes tracks. Does this happened on your unit? I look up some feedback on Garmin's site and I read that drifting was normal. But, I am still alittle leary? I am wondering if this is normal or should I take it back being new. Otherwise this unit is awsome.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:26 am   #4
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

I love the Garmin 60CSX. It is very user friendly and it is more then acturate when tracking. However, The drifting is a bit much at the 20 foot scale. I am going to ck out another unit at Bass Pro to see if it is my unit or normal operation. But I have been told the drifting is normal in high end units, because of the very sensitive chip used in them. When you're still does yours drift slowly all over the screen? the longer you set the more it drifts. It's like a screen saver! Also, I want to get more detail topo maps?? Where do you get them and how do you install them?? The 76 unit seemed to be a very good unit. As a matter of fact the place that I bought the GPS didn't have the 60 in stock. So, they told me they would sell me the 76 (in stock item at the time) for the same price as the 60. At the time, I didnt know anything about the 76. I had studied all about the 60 from the internet and was prepared to buy. Not so with the 76. I did notice the 76 had more memory and was more expensive. So I didnt know if I passed up a great deal or not. But I am happy with the 60CSX.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:38 pm   #5
Timsaquatics
Name: Tim
Central, Michigan usa
Belmont

Hardwaterfan, I have a legend also but I seem to have all the same problems as the rest of them ,losing signal, long time to lock on sattelites,can't leave it on in your pocket to mark path,etc...Are you having these problems with yours or not really???Thanks for your time...Tim
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:28 am   #6
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

I was out in heavy woods yesterday with my new Garmin 60CSX. This GPS is awesome!!!. It has never lost signal once. It find the sat the moment you turn it on. I have used it in the house/car and it has never lost signal. It reads accurate to 10 Ft. I have had it on and off for 4 days now and the batteries 2 (AA) are still reading full power. You're able to get 18 hours on 2 batt. It has 1000 waypoints and 50 routes It has a compass that works even when standing still which is very cool. It is actually waterproof under water. it has a big screen and heavy duty case. It has a ton of features. It has external memory coming with 64mb. You can get 2 gb memory. It comes with base maps which only show major highways. But you can get other topo, road and lake maps for it. The screen is in high res color and easy to read in the sunlight. You can hook-up to your pc and plan your waypoints and routes. I havnt tried this yet. But you can use the USB cable upload information for Geo caching sites . This thing is sweet. After playing with it for awhile, I can live with a little drifting in the 20 feet range because if the new chip. I think it even has a scent hole on top that smells out the morels for you 10 miles away. Just kidding. It's a new toy!!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:04 pm   #7
stever
Name: Steve
Southern, Michigan usa

I have a Garmin legend. Forget the compass unless on a boat or car. It will tell you which way your waypoints are, but may point in a different direction. As long as satelites come in (most the time eventually) and you have a compass or better sense of direction than I do, it works pretty well

Stever

I don't make jokes I just watch the government and report the facts.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:05 pm   #8
stever
Name: Steve
Southern, Michigan usa

oops, let me clarify, ........you need a compass since the one on Garmin Legend only works if moving at a good pace

Stever

I don't make jokes I just watch the government and report the facts.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:11 pm   #9
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

This Garmen 60 CSX has a electronic compass that works just like a true magnetic compass. It works even if you're standing still or moving. With my old GPS, you had to be moving to get the compass to work.

Tags
gps