Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Wolf - Cats - Bears Stories told Hear!!
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:57 pm   #1
tkcenterline
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

When I was a young man, which seem to be years ago! I use to take my family (my wife and two boys) on our vacation trip. Each year for 10 years in a row, we would go to the back country in an area 50 to 75 miles Northwest of Yellowstone Park, near Beaver Creek and Earthquake Lake. This area was God's country and I was young, dumb and full of energy. We camped along a river stream that I though was a great spot. The first day, I pitched a 10' x 10' canvas tent, built a camp fire, got wood, got water and did all of the good things that needed to get done to get started. Night fell and we all went to bed after a great camp fire. Being exhausted, we all got into our sleeping bags and went right to sleep. Well, sometime during the middle of the night, we were awakened and horrified by something violently shaking and pulling our tent down. I immediately unzipped the tent door and got out. Jumping out of the tent, I was face to face with a huge bull elk with his antler tangled up in my tent rope. The moment he saw me, he ran and pulled the tent stake right out of the ground. Thank God the rope got loose from him; otherwise he would have pulled my tent down and took my family down the path with him. You guess it, I believe I had put my tent on an elk path. No one was hurt and no damage done. But we do have a great close encounter and a story to tell.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:13 am   #2
eliandco
Name: eli
Upper Peninsula, Michigan usa
goegebic county

Face to face with a bull elk. Yikes!

I got a good one that happened to a buddy of mine about 4 or 5 years ago. He was bow hunting, and stuck himself a nice 10 pointer. Went back to town to get some help, and let it die, since it did run off. He couldn't find anybody to help him track and drag it. (as usual LOL) So he headed out himself.
Well he's got his head down following the blood trail. And he comes over this hill, and he see's it. The buck was standing there about 50 yds away, with it's head down in fight mode. Blood coming from it's nose. And it was huffing and puffing real hard. He then looks ahead, and see's what the buck is squaring off with. A wolf. Just as he realized whats going on, he see's two more come from behind the deer, and jumped it.

He walked right up on the kill!!!

He wasn't strapped either. All he had was his bow, and the freshly knocked arrow. Well he said he bolted out of there. As he's running out, he can see them following him on the corner of his eyes. He said he was too scared to turn his head, and look at them! But he knew they were following him. AND hunting him. He said they kept cutting him off. So he would just turn away from them and kept moving. By now he said he's blubbering like a baby! LOL. Not so funny at the time I bet though.

Well he said he was zig zagging through the woods for a while before the BIG one went for the attack. He said this wolf was HUGE!!! His words were over 150 pounds easy. Anyways, he squared off, and stuck that wolf almost point blank, with a half *** shot from the hip. Got it in the chest.

Well he said this thing started screaming like a person. And doing flip flops like 6 feet in the air. Then turned and ran off. The others followed it. Since it was probabally one of the alpha's.

He said by now, he's hopelessly lost. Crying uncontrolably. LOL!!! And it was coming up on getting dark . He didn't have his compass on him, so he wondered for a while, hoping to hit a road. But thats not that easy in the middle of the national forrest where he was.

He found his compass around 8 PM under the flap of his collar on his jacket. LOL And was out of the woods by 10 PM. When he got to town, he stopped at my uncles house. And he was shaking badly still. When he started telling the story, he started crying again.

I'm telling you. That story seems sort of far fetched. But if you could see this dude try to tell us what happened. You would know that every word was true. It's kinda funny how some tough guys lose it when faced with death. And the prospect of being eaten alive is a death I dont want to imagine. But I would hope I would handle it with a little dignity. LOL.

Needless to say. I bought my beretta soon there after. And have 15 shots to make sure I'm not lunch for a pack of wolves some day.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:24 am   #3
Deerslayer
Name: Mike
Northern, Michigan usa

I went hunting one opening day about 50 years ago and when I got to my spot I realized I had forgot my gun, well I wasn't driving all the way home to get my gun so I decided to make due with what I had.
I walked down to my bait pile and scooped up a bunch of apples I had put there the previous day and moved it to a nearby oak tree that was about 600 years old, found me one of those big giant low hanging horizontal branches and dumped my apples about 15' out from the trunk of the tree.
I then slung my deer draggin rope around the branch and repelled my self up the tree, I climbed out on the branch that I had dumped my apples under and patiently waited for daylight to arrive.
at about 8:30, something in the nearby swamp woke me up and got my attention...sounded like a buffalo doing the wildthing with it's mate and the cattails were flying around like babe ruth was using em for batting practice.
needless to say I was getting a little bit worried cuz this branch I was on was only 12-13 feet off the ground and we all know that a big ole mean buck in full rut could jump higher than a pole vaulter at the 02 olympics (1902 ) and if he got a scent of the "special" scent I got rubbed all over my boots he just might make a run at me in that 600 year old oaktree and knock my *** down and stomp me to smitherines.
well I just froze so I wouldn't tip him off and sure enough here comes this mega buck strollin out of the swamp like the lord almighty, I swear the cattails parted for him like the red sea and he was headed straight for my oak and them juicy hybrid apples from the farmers market....
so I held my breath and watched him get closer and closer until finally he was directly underneath me and sniffin them apples, at that point i slowly reached to my knife sheath and slipped out Old Grand dad.
now you should know that I use the fold up lock style so i had to open the dang thing too and when I did and that knife locked into place it was like being in church on a sunday morning and someone ripped one in the middle of prayer, you could have heard the blade click and lock from 200 yards away and when it did that old buck looked right up at me with his 30 point rack and just licked his lips like I was about to die.

Thats when I did it....the most remarkable deerkill ever in Grand Traverse county.

with one hand on my knife and my legs and the other arm wrapped around that oak branch like a chimpanzee...I rolled underneath the branch, released from it and dropped my fatazz right on top of that 300+ lb buck,
I grabbed ahold of his horns and road him like a bucking bronco, he tossed around for 14.2 seconds before I was able to reach around with my free arm and good ol grand dad, I pulled back on his massive rack with my left arm and in one surgically placed stick of my knife I took out both jugulars and the throat.

15 minutes later I had him field dressed and tied to the top of my vw micro bus.

Vittles

there was a bad part to this story though...

As that monster buck took his last gulp of air and that massive buck heart pumped one last time he bucked me right over the front of him and on the way over a very important part of my male anatomy got caught on the massive rack and parted ways with me forever not to mention he shot me right into that 600 year old oak head first and now I'm a little bit odd because of the impact.

kinda makes me wonder who got the best of who between him and I.

DS
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:22 pm   #4
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Yeeeee Haaaaaa DeerSlayer. That's a good un...!!!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:32 pm   #5
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Try this one!!!

My fishing buddy and I would to up to Lake Kabetogama, Mn. which is near International falls, Canada on the USA boarder line. After many years of fishing the lake, we got to know the special places where the Northern like to hang out. I just put on a new lure at the time which was called a Rattle Trap in a fire tiger color. We where fishing very deep water, right along the edge of a steep cliff with near by weeds. The lake was choppy and waves where hitting the cliff. As luck would have it, I hooked into a rather big Northern (39" plus). After fighting him for a while, he took one big jump and broke my leader. In that split second, he was gone and so was my new Rattle Trap. After casting in the same spot for about 20 minutes and having no luck in trying to get him to bite again, we decided to continue fishing along the shore, chalking this one up to the one that got away.

At the end of the day and after about five more hours of fishing, we decided to head back to where I caught the Northern earlier in the day. As we where casting along the shore line, we came across the same spot where I hooked the Northern. As you would guess, we or should I say; I started to talk about the ordeal again.

Then all of a sudden and out of nowhere, the same Northern jumped straight out of the water within 2 feet of the boat. As he was doing a tail dance, we could almost touch him. With his mouth wide open, he would shake his head back and forth in ridicule. You could still see and hear the Rattle Trap as he tossed his head from side to side. Then with the Rattle Trap still hanging from his lower lip, he was done again! I am sure that this spectacular event was his way of letting us know, he was the one that got away. It truly was a site to see and a story to tell forever.

Years later in tribute, we still go back to the same spot to see if this amazing fish would jump and display the rattle trap again. It's now tradition and some say on a calm night, if you listen very close, you can still hear the rattle of the lure as he jumps from the water.

The End.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:27 pm   #6
huntergatherer
Name: Jim
Northern, Michigan USA

Can birds really see color? It was opening day of rifle season when I was 16, so quite a while ago, and I'm watching this Pileated Woodpecker getting breakfast, flitting around from tree to tree. Well there was this big orange blob sitting on a box under a tree (that would be me). Apparently the woodpecker was watching me too, because all of a sudden he starts flying right at me. I'm thinking he's gonna fly right past me if I hold real still.

Have you ever watched a bird land, how they kinda stand straight up, fanning their wings, claws out in front of them. Well that's what this one did at about 3 feet and I believe had I not taken evasive action (scream like a little girl and dive to the ground!!) the wood pecker was gonna land on me!!

Ever since I have questioned the whole birds can see color thing! I know this isn't about a wolf or big cat but it scared the **** outta me none the less!
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:57 pm   #7
Rustydel2
Name: Del
Southern, Michigan usa
Jackson

The year was 1992, november 16, the 2nd day of deer hunting in lower Michigan. The day before I was hunting an area on state land with my 3 sons and saw a nice buck with a few does -but was out of position to get a good shot. Hated to hunt state land , but lost my private land do to the owner selling out. Well on day two I set up in a good spot to try to nail the buck from the day before. Sure enough about 7:20 am here he comes at 40 yds , bam- I shoot- he falls than gets up, I shoot again with my 3 shot simi auto model 58 Rem. He goes down, looks like a nice 8pt- Ya ever here about you should walk up to a deer from behind .Well I have too , but having shot many a deer , I just knew this boy was dead-except he wasn't. At 5 yards he came at me like a train I shot at point blank range , my last bullet in my gun- while falling on my ***. This fine 9pt died with his rack justa flaring-just inches from my kicking feet. ALWAYS,ALWAYS ALWAYS approach a down deer from behind. Del
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:11 pm   #8
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Once about 20 years ago, me and some of buddies went huntin bugle horses, out in Montana just southeast of Glacier National park, we were huntin on the side of a steep hill, looking to ambush the buglers when they came up a small pass, hiding in a rocky outcrop, we had the perfect spot, could see the whole pass, we sat for about 30 minutes, when our guide, whispered "safeties off and don't move, don't do nothing except breathe"
Thinking it was the buglers, my blood started flowing strong with anticipation of a shot, when to my surprise out walked a Grizzly about 30 yards below us, ambling along the hillside, I sat in pure awe and amazement, as I watched it pass.
Later that night back at camp, our guide explained to us it was good the wind was blowing at our faces, if he would of smelled us, that could of provoked an attack, as the bear would of felt threatened by our presence and being that close, one of us would of been in deep trouble if he/she charged , needless to say, awe and amazemement turned to fear and shaking,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:30 pm   #9
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

I love stories like those. Mike dont you just love that upper Montana area. We went camping and Fly fishing one year in that area -Glacier National Park. That is a another Great Park. I still remember "Going to the Sun Road"
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:08 pm   #10
Rustydel2
Name: Del
Southern, Michigan usa
Jackson

Opening day nov. 15, 1997-again hunting state land in the waterloo rec. area. My two sons and I were in the woods by 5:30 am. Saw a couple does but no bucks. About 8:30 my oldest son came to my stand and said dad there is something wrong with doug I could hear him screaming , sounds like a fight.We rushed to his stand , he was gone. We than heard him down by the car , where we parked. He was saying I'LL KILL YOU YOU SONS OF B-TCHES. We looked down the incline to the road -you would not believe what we saw-30-40 men ,women, and kids jumping up and down and doing handstands in the road . A person in a house across the road was yelling he called the police. We came out of the woods just as they all were leaving yelling lets get back to Detroit. We came up to my son and he explained what happened. HE said as he was going to his stand he saw a lot of flash lights coming his way ,he got in his stand an waited . About 8:00 am he heard a pop-than he was hit -about 15 kids about 11-14 were shooting him with a beebe guns .He tried to cover up-and tried to get back to the car. When he got there they continued to shoot at him and my car . Police took a report - never heard any more about what they found or if they even fallowed up on it. Anti hunters get away with just about anything.Del