Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Chants and Bugs
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:45 pm   #1
tkcenterline
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Chants and Bugs

Yesterday, I spent the last 5 hours searching around and found another 1/2 bag full of chants. I went home and started to clean them to find that chants where full of worms, clear with little black heads, just like the batch before. Even the smallest chants had bugs! I notice that when I cut the stems at the bottom the stems where solid meat and the caps had holes. It seems to me the worms started at the cap and worked thier way down the stem. Now, that is two batches of chants found and where total buggy. Desperately speaking and wanting a taste my first bug less chants, my questions are: "Is there such a thing as a totally bug free chant" or "are the worms edible”. Now please be honest!!! Ted
Old Jul 24, 2008, 3:57 pm   #2
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Re: Chants and Bugs

Same here, I know I have eaten my share of cooked worms in my time and I am still here. Knowingly I don’t want to eat them. But lets face it, sometimes what you don’t know would hurt you. In this case, it was interesting that even on the small buttons there where worm tracing from the cap down. Now when I took them apart by slicing them lengthwise in quarters and eights or less, there were worm holes throughout, but no actual worms in some? In some of the fresh ones there where worms tracings in the cap and worms embedded half down the stem. But still the bottom of the stem looked clean. I don’t think cutting the stem to see if the chant is buggy is the answer. It starts at the top in the cap. Go fig?? Now, this last batch of chants couldn't have been more then a night old with other small ones popping out all around. The fact is they where all buggy. Are these worms a fly lava? Is the fly laying eggs on the caps? That would make sense to me why worms start from the top and work their way down and even out the bottom. It is amazing to me that these worms attack these chants that fast? Yes good point, I wonder why one area can be different from another? Like you said even with other types of mushrooms, you can find clean ones in one area and go to a different place and find nothing but buggy ones?
Old Jul 25, 2008, 2:29 pm   #3
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Re: Chants and Bugs

Without a dought in my mind and from the ones I have checked out, it seems true. Worms in the chants start at the top cap. Therefore and thinking out loud, if you noticed new chants coming up and where to place cheese cloth, similar to covering cabbage plants, could you be able to come back and harvest bug free chants??? You might want to cover home grown oyster blocks-- bug free oysters?