Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > RECIPES Sweet Corn
RECIPES Welcome to our kitchen!

Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:14 pm   #1
tkcenterline
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Sweet Corn

Yesterday, I had a visit from a young man and his sister, both around 12 and 14 years old. They where riding on a small grass mower type tractor, John Deer, pulling a small two wheel cart. The cart was full, over the top, of just picked SWEET CORN. As they pulled up to my driveway, I heard both yell above the sound of the tractor motor "Sir would you like to buy some sweet corn" and of course I said "Yes and you pick out the good ears for me". They explained to me that both of them had planted, grown and taken care of the corn from thier own garden. Both had harvested the corn and were going door to door selling it for 12 ears for $5.00. I bought a dozen and so did each of my neighbors. The kids told me that they belong to the local 4H club and the profit from the corn sale goes to help the 4H club. I thought that was so cool, that these young kids, in these times of high tech and speed, are still doing things like this. Thank you and God bless the 4h clubs. Plus, I have to tell you the corn was soooo Good and Sweet.

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted

Last edited by tkcenterline; Aug 15, 2008 at 2:16 pm.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:29 pm   #2
whitebeard
Name: Jim
Southern, Ontario Canada
London

Re: Sweet Corn

Good story! We need more kids like this learning the values that made this country great.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:11 am   #3
tkcenterline
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

.:
Originally Posted by whitebeard View Post
Good story! We need more kids like these learning the values that made this country great.
You bet!!! This is more of exactly what we need. It was so neat for me to see these young kids having a smile on thier faces, knowing that they where full of pride and satisfaction in completing a task from planting a seed, taking care of it, watching it grow, harvesting it, selling it, making a profit and then giving the profit away to help others. Plus, they both knew how to count change!! Better then a candy bar is right and far better then having some youth rob me on a corner to feed his drug habit or to be faced with a drive by shooting. I say again God bless the 4H Clubs and other groups like this that help our youths gain great values.

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:07 pm   #4
Princess Roon
Name: Lisa
Central, Michigan USA
Rockford

Wow, great story! Thanks for sharing. Now, I'm hungry for some corn. Didn't grow any this year, but my cousin has a produce stand on Belding Rd. Best get over there in the morning.