Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Learning Center > General Mushroom Questions A question about shaggy manes?
General Mushroom Questions Ask your questions on mushrooms here.

Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:19 am   #1
Amos
Name: Amy
Northern, Michigan USA

A question about shaggy manes?

Hello fellolw roomers,

I have a nice patch of shaggy manes out my back door. I have a friends mom that showed me some she picked years ago and said they are great.

I thought well let's give it a try on a nice steak. They were very good and had no side effects like the beefsteaks that I ate that the neighbor gave me. Welts on my face!

I have about 150 of them and would like to find out how to put them up?

should I dry them or can them or freeze um?

I am so new to this and would love any input anyone has for me.

Thanks a bunch for your assistance

Amos
Old Sep 20, 2008, 7:01 pm   #2
Bayesoft
Name: George
Northern, Michigan usa
Gaylord

Re: A question about shaggy manes?

There is a trick to drying shaggys without having them deliquesce on you. Support a box fan horizontally on cement blocks somewhere cool and dry. Like an unheated garage or shed.

With the numbers of fruits you're taking about. I would tape some cardboard around the edge of the fan to keep them from blowing around/falling off. Take your shaggys and cut them in half right down the middle. Turn the fan on medium or low and start packing them on the top. Once they are all in there, turn the fan on high. Cover the cardboard with some screen or rabbit wire. Check them at least once a day and mix them around by hand so that they don't stick to each other.

After a few days, or longer depending on how many you're drying. Take one of those gladware containers and put some damp-rid or ice-melter (pearl looking pellets) in there. Close the container and melt some holes in the top. Put this in the bottom of a larger airtight container or even a cardboard box and put your shaggys over top of it. Make sure it's sealed and leave it for a few days. When you open it you should have crispy shaggys.

I never re-hydrated mine so I don't know what happens then. I powdered mine. You can powder them and use them as a flavoring for egg dishes. I am going out right now to pick some myself. I saw some today when I was driving around. Hope they're still there.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 8:39 pm   #3
Bayesoft
Northern, Michigan usa
Gaylord

Yep... still there. No one home but the dog, so I helped myself. The neighbor gave me the ok but once I walked up to them I realized it was a neighboring yard. Shaggy Breakfast Burritos are about 2 minutes away.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 2:51 pm   #4
Amos
Name: Amy
Northern, Michigan USA

Thanks for your help.
I think I blew it with the first batch. I gathered them in a collender and took the garden hose to them. So now they are all soggy. I will make a dish of some sort and use those up.

Then next batch I pick I will try the frying method.

How do you powder them? This is all new to me.

Thanks so much for your advice
Old Sep 22, 2008, 4:45 am   #5
Bayesoft
Northern, Michigan usa
Gaylord

I used an electric coffee grinder.