Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > GARDENING + info & links Preserving your own seeds
GARDENING + info & links Grab an hoe and start digging for info.

Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:07 pm   #1
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Preserving your own seeds

I was recently pm'd about preserving your own seeds from your garden plants, then Jon asked me on the Sunday hunt to make a post of it, so tommorrow night it will happen,mike
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:47 pm   #2
miker
Southern, Michigan USA

Re: Preserving your own seeds

There are 2 types of seeds. Dry seeds and Gelatinous seeds.

Dry seeds consist of peppers, okra, corn, beans, peas.
For corn it is simple, Just allow a few cobs to stay on the stalk and dry naturally. When the kernels become rock hard, just push the kernels off in a few thin rows the length of the cob, then just pick the cob up in both hands, and wring the cob in your hands. The kernels will come off easily. Spread the corn kernels out on newspaper and place in a warm dry area. Allow to set for a couple of weeks, to get rid of the final moisture content.

With okra, beans, peas etc, do the same as above like the corn, allowing to dry on the plant as long as possible. Then open the pods, extract the seeds and allow to dry on newspaper for a few weeks.

With peppers, it is a little different. Remove the peppers from the plant as soon as they are ripe to over ripe. What I mean by over ripe, is allow a green bell pepper to turn red. With your smaller peppers like cayenne, chili's and so forth, string them by needle thread when the have ripened and hang in a sunny window until they are thouroughly dried. Then remove the seeds by simply crushing a few peppers and seperating the seeds.

With blocky peppers like jalapeno's, paprika's, green bells and so forth, allow the peppers to turn red. Then slice open, remove the pithy center and strip the seeds from it onto a paper plate and allow to dry for a week.

Always store seeds in paper envelopes when fully dried, this helps remove any remaining water and stores the seeds for next years use.

Next, the gelatinous seeds.
mike
Old Sep 24, 2008, 2:30 pm   #3
tkcenterline
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Tomato seed??

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:01 pm   #4
miker
Southern, Michigan USA

Gelatinous seeds.

First I should state there are two types of gelatinous seeds.
There are the ones which are just sticky and gooey.
Pumpkins, watermelons, squashes, cukes and etc., are your sticky seeds.

And the others are those with a membrane around them (tomatoes).

Cukes and the squashes are left to soften on the vine. Then remove the seeds, place into a colander and gently rinse with cold water, while swirling them around with your hand, until they don't feel sticky.
Allow to drain the water out of the colander. Then spread the seeds out on wax paper that is placed over newspaper and allow to dry in a warm, dry spot for at least a week. Then pick out any sunken seeds, and throw them out. Place the rest in a paper envelope and store in a dry place.

Pumpkins and melons are alot easier to take care of for seed harvesting. Just remove the seeds when the fruit is ripe enough to eat or process, carve etc. Remove the seeds and again use the colander treatment. With pumpkin though, you must make sure all of the pulp is removed. Again, place on wax paper covered newspaper and allow to dry thouroughly, before storing in envelopes.

mike
Old Oct 5, 2008, 12:15 pm   #5
tkcenterline
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

I have some tomatos from the last of the harvest. The tomatoes were very good so I am going to dry out some seeds. Thanks for the help!!

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
Old Jun 30, 2012, 1:56 am   #6
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

miker, when you have time would you please post on how to save tomato seeds? I used to have a link to a gardening site about it, but that site doesn't exist anymore.

Here is a U Tube video link about it, but we would rather hear it from someone who knows. You! LOL

Thanks bro'.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Jul 1, 2012, 12:14 am   #7
miker
Southern, Michigan USA

I'll post on it soon, you don't need to ferment them, I do the same thing minus the fermentation and refrigeration,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Jul 1, 2012, 1:46 am   #8
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Thanks miker. I appreciate it.

Frank

Old Jul 3, 2012, 5:35 am   #9
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Looked a little bit more on the net. It seems they ferment the seeds to stop any carry over of nasty stuff (diseases & such). I guess you can then even save seeds from heirlooms that were affected by blight and etc. I don't know why you would tho'.

I did notice that you should never save hybrid seeds and expect the same type of plant. It just won't probably happen. LOL

Frank

Last edited by Frank; Sep 4, 2012 at 7:35 am.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:44 pm   #10
miker
Southern, Michigan USA

alright I finally have time to post on this subject, first and foremost of all, I personally would never save any form or fashion of seeds from any infected or afflicted plants, the reason being why take a chance on reintroducing a serious problem.
This fermentation process to rid seeds of unwanted pestilence is in my opinion is a "crock of sit".
Anyone who bakes, brews, vint or distills, will tell you wild yeasts or bacterial pathogens are uncontrollable in the fermentation process unless treated prior to the fermentation by chemical solution or a rapid decrease or increase caused by the value of a ph change or introduced heat, so a cold fermentation on a countertop in the kitchen is not gonna "cut the mustard" in my books.
Yeasts create either an alcohol substance or starch compound in their waste, in their effort to survive after their normal food source has ran out (sugars or starches) they will begin to feed on lesser organisms like bacteria, molds and so forth, but since their primary food group is gone they just reproduce the organism they are feeding off of.
saving seeds soon, just wanted to let u know my opinion on saving infected seeds, mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said

Tags
gardening, preserving, seeds, tomato