Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Cleaning a Hen
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Oct 5, 2008, 12:36 pm   #1
tkcenterline
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Cleaning a Hen

I was just curious on how people clean a Hen! What is the proper way to clean a hen? What works for you?

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
Old Oct 5, 2008, 1:57 pm   #2
SWMichRealtor
Name: Ed
Southern, Michigan USA
Plainwell

Re: Cleaning a Hen

I break off fronds, then break them in half. You need to be able to get a toothbrush or fingernail or something into the little crooks and crannys. My kids bought me a 'mushroom' brush. It has bristles and it has a sharp pointer that allows me to remove any of the grit that seems to grow into the pores.

I generally do not save alot of the base. Some of that can be bitter.

Basically I scrub, pick and scrape every surface. Break it into smaller pieces, so you can be thorough.

I have been drying all my hens this year. I guess we have eaten fresh twice but I have had the dehydrator going non-stop for a week it seems.

Hope you can pull something of use out of this blathering reponse!

Ed
Old Oct 5, 2008, 3:55 pm   #3
Woodbutcher
Name: Leonard
Southern, Michigan USA
Shelby Twp.

Like Ed said Ted, If You see something, anywhere, that you don't want to eat, you have got to get rid of it. Especially if you know what some of this stuff is or where it came from.

I have cleaned hens in the 8 to 15 pound class that didn't take more then 15 minutes. And on the other hand, had to toss some in the 1 1/2 to 5 pound class that just weren't meant to be cut,unless you are really,really desperate to get enough for a meal,if at the end of hours and hours of cleaning your bowl is still halve full,you start to wonder.

just my 2 cent's worth Ted,i learned the hard way.

How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire,but it takes a whole box to start a campfire??

leonard
Old Oct 5, 2008, 8:17 pm   #4
birrdybrad
Name: Brad
Central, Michigan usa
Lowell

Thanks guys.... I finally found my first Hens today. Found 3 at the base of a really old old oak. Gonna be cleaning them and firing up the dehydrator tonight....

By the way,,,, It was well worth the wait...

Thanks all.
Brad
Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:54 pm   #5
RedWing1
Name: Brandt
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

Pretty much the same as mentioned above. Scrub a dub dub is the main thing. I haven't dehydrated mine, though. I cook the moisture out of them and then partially saute' them in butter. Package them up in meal size bags, squeeze out all the air, and pack 'em away for a cold snowy night in February!

Brandt

Just when you think you aren't going to find any morels, something pushes you to climb that next hill. And once you get over that hill, guess what you find? That's right. NOTHING!
-Me explaining to my in-laws about morel hunting
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:58 pm   #6
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Thanks. I do about the same thing here when I get one. But I soak them first in the sink. If it's late I soak them over night. I have never dehydrated one. I have a huge unit for making jerky. How do you prepare them to dry and for how long?

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
Old Oct 7, 2008, 6:01 pm   #7
richland49083
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA
S.W. Michigan

Does leaving the one I found a few days ago in a paper bag in the breezway count as dehydrating? OOOPS, just got too busy and did not even put it in the refrigerator. Now after reading the above posts, I'm wondering if it was a bad idea to put my "first ever" awsome/super clean hen in ziplock bags - uncooked - fresh - straight into the freezer. Mike
Old Oct 7, 2008, 11:34 pm   #8
RedWing1
Name: Brandt
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

You can put Hen's straight into the freezer uncleaned, Mike. I used to do that. I only had two problems with that...First, when you took them out and thawed them, they turned into a sloppy mess. Still cooked up well, but just a pain to handle. Second, I hated to have to spend the time cleaning them when I was HUNGRY! LOL I like pulling them out of the freezer, thawing, throwing them in a pan, and then topping a big, fat Porterhouse!

Brandt

Just when you think you aren't going to find any morels, something pushes you to climb that next hill. And once you get over that hill, guess what you find? That's right. NOTHING!
-Me explaining to my in-laws about morel hunting
Old Oct 9, 2008, 5:30 am   #9
IM2HAPPI
Name: Barb
Central, Michigan USA
Midland

After I cleaned my first find (4 hrs.) that night I dreamt I put them in the washer on delicate cycle. Now wondering if that would work. Might of been to many 's afterwards I dont know.
Barb
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:37 am   #10
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Washer why Not. You would need to use a mesh bag! I do remember, after my dad got old and lost his teeth, he would spend less and less time cleaning the Hens. I wonder why!!! See what you have to look forward too!!!