Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Learning Center > Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Honeys or Not?
Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Not sure what mushroom it is? Post it here.

Old Oct 25, 2008, 2:51 pm   #1
tkcenterline
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Honeys or Not?

Well my son and I spent the afternoon looking for hens and found honeys. They where all around hidden under the leaves, growing from the stumps and fallen wood. However, many where away from the stumps. I cleaned them and the gills are light in color turning brown. Gills are split gills (one long gill with short gills in between the longer ones. The stems where dark almost black at the base with roots. The stems had a veil ring. The caps had two shades of brown with a darker shade along the edge. doing spore print right now. Also no bugs. My son was pulling because he forgot his knife. Honeys or Not. They sure look like the ones.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honeys 10-25-09 003.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	5208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honeys 10-25-09 002.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	5209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honeys 10-25-09 001.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	5210  

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
Old Oct 25, 2008, 3:01 pm   #2
RedWing1
Name: Brandt
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

Re: Honeys or Not?

I think they may be Honey's, but they are so far past prime it's hard to tell. I've never picked the Browns, only the Yellows. I did see at my friends house Thursday night while we were walking through his woods behind the house some Brown Honey's. Being I've never picked them, I left those as well.

Brandt

Just when you think you aren't going to find any morels, something pushes you to climb that next hill. And once you get over that hill, guess what you find? That's right. NOTHING!
-Me explaining to my in-laws about morel hunting
Old Oct 25, 2008, 3:26 pm   #3
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

They where broken up alittle, while I was carring them in my mesh bag ,so they dont look so fresh. But they where fresh for the most part after frost. Before, I use to always carry them in a basket. I like the mesh bags for traveling in the woods, but not for carring them out. I use only the caps when eating honeys and toss the steams. I have cleaned these and I'm wainting on a spore print and more data from you folks.

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:08 am   #4
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Well My son and I went out again on Sat. We got 3 hens and a 1-1/2 peck of honeys. I clean them all and wanting on the pore print for the honeys.

Old Oct 26, 2008, 3:42 pm   #5
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Spore print was white on one. However, do you need to print each one to be sure???

Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:49 pm   #6
SWMichRealtor
Name: Ed
Southern, Michigan USA
Plainwell

.:
Originally Posted by RedWing1 View Post
I think they may be Honey's, but they are so far past prime it's hard to tell. I've never picked the Browns, only the Yellows. I did see at my friends house Thursday night while we were walking through his woods behind the house some Brown Honey's. Being I've never picked them, I left those as well.
Gotta agree with Brandt on this one. Those may be beaten up from handling but they are not fresh. Honeys are best to eat before they open up. These have been open for a long time IMO.

Just be careful with them.

Ed
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:15 am   #7
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

They where alittle past prime. But, we had a frost just the night before and sometimes the frost turns the honeys brown. My son and I went back out and found about a 1/2 bushel more and three hens. The spore print on the honey was white. After I cleaned and soaked the honeys in water, they came right back to live. I was amazed not to find one bug and the hens where very very clean. I cooked up the honeys and tried a small amount and man they where good. I froze the rest of the cooked honeys. I cleaned the Hens and chop 3/4 of them, making 5 bags of ducell. With the rest of the hens, I pulled the fronds apart, seasoned and deep fried them covered in a beer batter. Good Eats. Man with this cold snap, I hope the season isn't over!!