Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Can you dry leeks?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:50 pm   #1
eliandco
Name: eli
Upper Peninsula, Michigan usa
goegebic county

Icon16 Can you dry leeks?

Hey all.
I was wondering last year if I could dry leeks.If They would rehydrate OK, or be funky?
Everyone told me to blanch them and freeze. I assume that works good. I never got out and got a years supply before they were gone. I did find some good sized bulbs in an area I knew a patch was earlier in the year. Amazingly there was no leaf, above ground, but the leeks were big, and tasty still. Got a quart full, and I froze them regular. They taste fine to me a good 8 months later.

but still I wonder. Do they dry OK? Has anybody ever tried? I assume dried leeks, in jars would last a couple years or more, hey?

I love those things. Between the leeks, and the morels. I can fool people into thinking I can cook. LOL But seriously MMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Anyways. Hows everyone been.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:07 pm   #2
Woodbutcher
Name: Leonard
Southern, Michigan USA
Shelby Twp.

Re: Can you dry leeks?

Eli, go to the recipe section and do a search for Ramp powder. Yes you can dry them.

How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire,but it takes a whole box to start a campfire??

leonard
Old Jan 13, 2009, 3:46 am   #3
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

I doubt they would re-hydrate to expections. (I think they would be a little tough)
Even the parboiled ones I've frozen, were nowhere near the texture or flavor or fresh leeks. They were much tougher in texture.
Fresh is best, so dig em and enjoy em.

However, like woodbutcher said, we do slice and dry them to make powder,
(Thanks Tammy).

You can view that thread Here.
That powder sure adds flavor to sauces, broths and gravys.

That all said.... I've never tried drying them whole.
So maybe next year we both can try this and report back to the members our opinions. Ya don't know if ya don't try. Right?

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:12 pm   #4
eliandco
goegebic county

Yea frank. Nothing is as good as fresh.

I've decided to try a few different methods.

I am going to try to dry some whole. And some sliced. I hope they turn out, and I dont end up witha BUNCH of Leek powder. or rotten leeks. LOL.

I figure if none of them are better than frozen, then I'll continue to freeze mine. I froze mine fresh last year. And they are good. And I'm still wondering if blanching them is better though?

Kind of thinking about putting away some dried goods. Morels and Leeks are definately on the list. You could have lawn clipping soup. Add leeks and morels, and you got yourself a meal. LOL
Old Jan 15, 2009, 1:10 am   #5
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

"Don't want to end up with a bunch of powder?" HA! Never heard that before. I never knew there was such a thing as too much wild leek or morel powder.

Tell ya what Eli, if you make too much powder, I know a bunch of crazy people more than willing to take it off your hands or trade for it. You'll find most of them hanging around this site. LOL

It takes a whole lot of leeks to get a pint of powder.
How many? I don't know. Never had enough yet. LOL

Frank

Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:19 pm   #6
eliandco
goegebic county

Thumbs up Re: Can you dry leeks?

Well Frank,
I have a slight case of compulsive disorder. Lol
When I start picking those leeks. I wont quit.
I may be lucky up here. Because there are so many leeks in our area. The ground is covered every where you go.

I pictured a garbage bag. But Then, if they work out, and dry good. I might do another bag, and give them away for gifts. Like I did with some of the fire Morels this last year. I gave away as many as I ate. And I ate ALOT! LOL. I love those things.

But anyways. There is a 100% chance I'll have too much. So if there is anyone out there that wants some. Just let me know.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 5:09 am   #7
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Do you ever find any amounts of Morels in with the Leek area?
I never do. An oncassional leek here and there is OK, but when they get thick, I never find morels.

Just curious.

And if you don't find Morels in with the leeks.....

THEN WHY THE HECK are you doing staying there long enough to fill a garbage bag full, anyhoo?

He he.
I know, I love em too.

Frank

Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:16 pm   #8
eliandco
goegebic county

Leeks were my first wild food I actually used alot. And I always seen them around. it turned out most my hiking areas were great leek areas.
As far as Morels go. I have only found 4 last year, in my home area. Which was my first year. That was until I went to the burn. Then I went from dumb rookie, to skilled picker in about an hour. Then I found a good patch,and became a pro at that point.Then crossed this wetland area, and found the Mother lode. Now I'm pretty much a pro.

I dont plan to come back down to reality until spring. LOL

I did find out a little too late that the rules up in the UP are different from you southerners. I was searching every forrest for elms. And hardly found any. Souted plenty of woods,not really knowing what to look for. I did find the 4 in a pile of brush, in the middle of an apple orchard.

I've come to hear that up here I'm looking for 3-4 inch popple . Scrubby apple and cherry trees, and tree lines where the pines hit the hardwoods. Or tree lines in general I guess. I'm gonna hit the woods hard this spring closer to home. And hopefully, with my new rules to follow, I'll get a good spot or two.

If not. I'll always have plenty of leeks.

I also have a trip or two planned to the burn area. Ready to cover some serious miles. That 6 hours of picking was easily the highlight of my year, last year.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 8:23 pm   #9
Tammy
Name: Tammy
Northern, Michigan USA
Twin Lake

.:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
[i]"
It takes a whole lot of leeks to get a pint of powder.
How many? I don't know. Never had enough yet. LOL

Well, Frank, all I can tell ya is that I cleaned those crazy leeks until I was sick of them and then cleaned more...came away with a quart of powder. Stunk up the garage pretty good that year...! LOL! We have a few spots that are so full of leeks that it only takes a short time to get more than enough!

Too much powder you say? NOPE...not when you start telling your friends what that flavor is that they just can't put their finger on. Jeff loves it on venison, too!

(As far as frozen go...we've tried freezing them raw and sauteed in butter, neither worked well. And they take FOREVER to dehydrate whole, and are tough when rehydrated. Fresh or powder is the only way we do 'em now.)
Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:47 am   #10
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Tammy,
I've par-boiled some and froze. They are tuff if used plain, but when they are simmered for for a fairly long time, like in stew or soup, they aren't quite so tough, and the flavor is still good.

PS.... I cannot imagine cleaning, slicing, drying, and grinding enough wild leeks to make a quart. Shoot... I can't even imagine "digging" enough to make a quart of powder. LOL You must have some really soft soil where you get yours.

Frank

Tags
leeks, ramps