Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > GARDENING + info & links Smokers
GARDENING + info & links Grab an hoe and start digging for info.

Old Dec 26, 2005, 11:08 am   #1
RonT
Name: Ron
Southern, Michigan USA

Smokers

I have never used a smoker before but would like to try using one. Anyone have any suggestions on a small, inexpensive smoker that works well? One of the local sporting good stores have a Brinkmann combo grill/smoker on sale for a good price and it says it can hold 50 lbs of meat at a time. Are these combo smokers effective? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 1:38 pm   #2
Happy Trails
Name: George
Southern, Michigan USA

Ron,

A lot of BBQ has been cooked on a what is affectionally called a ECB (El Cheapo Brinkman). To me, it all depends on what you are smoking and how much time and energy to want to put into it. The Brinkman does not have any insulation so it is influenced by the weather conditions. Another downside for me is a good pork butt or picnic takes a good 18 hours, give or take, to render a goodly portion of the fat out and make it nice and tender for pulled pork. A beef packer cut brisket takes almost as long. You'll be adding charcoal and wood all through the night. Now a slab of salmon can be hot smoked is a little over an hour. I've also gone the route of the offset stick smoker and that is a all nighter for beef and pork as well.

I finally got to lazy and moved up to the smallest residential Cookshack. When and if you might decide to "dig a little deeper", this alternative sure simplified things for me. Insulated to 1000 degrees - cooks the same in summer and winter. The cooking process is still an all nighter, but I sleep right through it. Just stick a polder temperature gauge into the meat. "Set it and forget it". There is also a chinese knock off product which is basically the same item, called a Smoken Tex, for a little less money.

But, honestly, I don't think the meat cares where it gets it's smoke and heat from, as long as, it's held at the right temperature for the right length of time.

HT

Eat Dessert First, Life Is Short!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:08 pm   #3
Happy Trails
Name: George
Southern, Michigan USA

Ron,

Here is a link to another electric smoker at about half the cost of a Cookshack. I don't know anything about the smoker other than what I read from one "happy camper". But perhaps, you could get a peek at one as they are marketed through Bass Pro Shops and I believe there is one down in your neck of the woods.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

HT

Eat Dessert First, Life Is Short!
Old Mar 21, 2006, 4:17 am   #4
webeable
Name: Mike
Northern, Ohio USA
Port Clinton

You can build one out of an old fridge and a electick hot plate. Take out inside box, and all insulation, wash clean, cut small hole in side. lower will make smoke build heavier. You use cooling racks for baked goods that you can get cheep. Use conduant for shelf supports, bolting through sides of box. You then use a hot plate and small stainless steel pan to hold your wood chips.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:11 am   #5
Ohio Transplant
Name: Rex
Southern, Ontario CA

Mike I knew a guy that built a smoker out of an old fridge. He loved to smoke meat and often would do 50 chickens at once and give them to his friends. I don't know much about smoking, but the food he did was great.
I have a little smoker out in the garage. I've never used it.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:02 pm   #6
up north
Name: Todd
Upper Peninsula, Michigan USA
Bark River

if you use a hot plate, find an old oven and take the control amd thermostat out of it and hook that to your hot plate. then get a long stemmed thermostat so you can read it on the outside of the smoker, just make sure it is located in the midle of the smoker. this works great!! I have made several smokers for myself and for friends and we get ecellent temperature control. for racks you can use old oven racks.

Todd

if you make a real big smoker you can use a double hot plate.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:45 am   #7
jeffmo
Name: jeff
Central, Ohio usa

smoker project

here's an easy & inexpensive way to build a smoker if anyone is thinking about making one.

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showt...um-smoker-(UDS
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:58 am   #8
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Re: smoker project

HA! - You've been reading my mind or PM's again Jeff? LOL

My sister and I have been discussing smokers lately.
I think she is going to buy a Masterbuilt and I want to try this guys plans for a small smokehouse type.

Of course, I may just settle for this this Redneck Smoker solution as we will soon be replacing our kitchen range.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:48 pm   #9
Bachflock
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

LOL! Good work. Nice plans also Jeff. So many different ways to go. I have a nice electric smoker. It is not a cooker/smoker which would be nice have. It makes some nice smoked fish and jerky tho. Luhr Jensen Big Chief. 10 years ago paid $20 for it at a second hand shop. Works like a champ!

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:31 am   #10
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

20 bucks is the best kind of smoker Vance.

I thought that the smokehouse that guy built would only be good for cold smoking, but he gave me a tip on how to hot smoke with it too. Just cut a piece of wood to block off the upper part and smoke you meat closer to the heat.

His is only 1/2" plywood and he hot smokes @ 200+ deg even in winter. I plan to make mine out of a sheet of 3/4" I have on hand. I doubt I'll have to insulate it at all.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here

Tags
smoking