Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > GARDENING + info & links Smokers
GARDENING + info & links Grab an hoe and start digging for info.

Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:53 am   #11
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Re: smoker project

Just curious if anyone here has ever built a small wooden smokehouse themselves.

If so... any tips?

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:20 pm   #12
sanilacshroomer
Name: paul
Central, Michigan usa
sanilac co.

I have made one and I'm totally happy with it. I have added additional racks and my blue ribbon dish is home made smoked beans. I got the recipe from an aunt of my (may she RIP) and for final touch I smoke them low heat 2.5 hrs. instead of the oven. I have a weber top for mine and can control the heat very good.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:18 am   #13
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Oh yeah, smoked baked beans are great. Also try it with scalloped potatoes. They are also great this way if you can get your temps up to 275-300F for last hour or so. I only added wood during the 1st half of cooking though. Too much smoke seems to give a bitter taste. But that may be because I usually use green maple cut fresh from the tree.

I remember my dad laughing when we told him we made baked beans and scalloped potatoes smoked on the grill. He didn't laugh after we made some for him tho'. He couldn't believe how good they were. LOL
Those potatoes are awesome that way. Of course I used smoked ham in them.

Best not to use good cookware though, that smoke is heck to clean off.

Weber top. Sounds like you made a smoker out of a barrel then Paul. Is that right?

Frank

Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:03 pm   #14
sanilacshroomer
Name: paul
Central, Michigan usa
sanilac co.

Re: Smokers

Yes Frank. I got a little lost and was responding to the barrel smoker post. I can control the heat to smoke or cook. I just love it & for the price. You can't beat it. I've done venison jerky, pork butt, pork shoulder, beans, chicken, turkey, venison & pork hams
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:07 am   #15
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

I'd make a barrel smoker Paul, but I'm even worse working with metal than I am wood. And that's ptetty bad. LOL

Frank

Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:29 pm   #16
Bachflock
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

My dream is to have a hand-mad brick grill with a smoker off the side, brick, in the back yard someday. That would be nice.

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:34 am   #17
jeepfreak
Name: Ranger
Southern, Michigan USA
Tuscola

The best and easiest smoker I ever built was out of an old round Charcoal smoker that I bought for $10 at a yard sale(brickhouse smoker). I took it home and cut a hole in the bottom and put my little single coleman burner in the bottom, added angle iron leg extensions. Then I drilled holes for long thick bolts with big washers to set my cheap iron skillet on for my wood. The last thing I did was add extensions onto the bottom grate supports so I could put a small pan for water and voila.....I had a cheap propane smoker that I could hook up to a 20lb propane tank or a 100lb tank and could smoke venison without having to babysit it. My next project will be making a rack that I can hang meat or sausage on instead of using the grates for a more thorough smoking session and less babaysitting. (some meats require flipping every so often if you have to use grates but hanging them doesn't require flipping them at all and smoking sausage while hanging gets a more even smoke on them. Maybe this will help someone :)

Evil is the presence of neophytes who learn through osmosis.

Tags
smoking