Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion What is your most unique edible find?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 6, 2009, 9:06 pm   #1
Bachflock
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

What is your most unique edible find?

I know similar posts have been made in the past but we have a lot of new folks. Thought I'd throw it out there again, maybe some of you will stick around past morel season. Great place to be!

I'm still reading over materials planning for seasons to come. I am floored to discover how many fungi are edible and shudder to think how many good quality edibles I've passed by over the years simply because I had no idea what it was. For example, one of my favorite stories was from squirrel season easily 10 years ago. I hopped out of the car, took about 10 steps and found several fairy rings of black mushrooms that were conical in shape. All said there were easily 30 - 50 mushrooms. I noted how interesting they were and went about squirrel hunting. I had no idea they were a good edible - black trumpets. IF ONLY! I've not found any since. Last year I found a number of another mushroom I didn't recognize and, thanks to this site, was able to get some idea of what they were. Through advice here and some research I have found another fairly unique edible - Lactarius indigo. The ones I found were beyond prime enough that I left them after I had positive ID. However, I now know where they grow and will be going to find some this year to try!

How about you? Interesting finds?

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:56 am   #2
Earthstar
Name: Aggie
Northern, Michigan USA

Re: What is your most unique edible find?

I came across a patch of black trumpets this year..if I hadn't been stopped and just standing there I would of walked right past them. They really blended with the decaying leaves, kind of elusive like the moral....
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:00 am   #3
Bachflock
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Great find Aggie! And it only took a year and 2 months for me to get my first response on this... LOL I've found black trumpets only once and that was before I knew what they were so I left them. Well done.

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:02 am   #4
Earthstar
Northern, Michigan USA

So oysters have two seasons....I am new to picking these "shrooms" that are found in summer and fall. I am in mushroom heaven....but so much to learn...one thing nice I am not racing the neighbors to get to the patch first...they don't pick them....:-)
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:08 am   #5
Earthstar
Northern, Michigan USA

Wow you are a patient....only 2 years?...lol. Anyways today I came across some tan colored trumpets....exactly like the blacks. This part of the woods is usually wet for the most part but this year it is dry....I'm finding all kind of fungi in there....I have many pictures to post....I hope I get them up before the 2 yr. Mark....
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:11 am   #6
Earthstar
Northern, Michigan USA

One more thing while you're right here....define washout? I've never heard this term before? Oh and the acorn crop in my area is flourishing....never seen them so big in size....
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:57 am   #7
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Last year, I found two big mushrooms, which I later discovered were Two-Colored Boletes, which according to the Audubon Guide are a choice edible.

Jeff O.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:31 am   #8
Bachflock
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Earthstar - washout to me would be a spot in a two track, driveway, road where the rain water has carried a large area of the dirt and gravel away.

vjs
Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:11 am   #9
shroonthumper
Name: victor
Southern, Michigan USA
montgomery

my most uniquie edible find in the past is the giant puff ball. I used to kick them around when i was a kid just to see the dust go every where. then when i got older found out that they were good to eat. I still find them in the same spot. just walk in the woods and look for a soccer ball. I cut them into 1 inch cubes and dip them in drakes and deep fry them. the flavor is somewhat like a morel to me. with the texture of cotton candy.

"THE WOODS ARE LOVELY DARK AND DEEP AND I HAVE MANY MORELS TO FIND BEFORE I SLEEP" .............
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:25 pm   #10
chupacabra31
Name: Jim
Southern, Michigan USA

How about most unique edible find, that I cannot find, that I would love to find!

King boletes!! They far outdo all other shrooms in flavor to me! I have tried morels, chanterelles, Oysters, Hericium, Hens, etc and by far the King is the king in flavor. Just are not a lot of possible spots for them in Metro Detroit.