Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Other Type Mushroom photo's First lobster
Other Type Mushroom photo's Post only if your'e sure which mushroom it is.

Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:14 pm   #1
chantyman
Name: Ed
Southern, Ohio USA

First lobster

Here is a photo of this years first lobster for me.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	lobster2 002.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	6351  
Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:19 pm   #2
Bachflock
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Re: First lobster

Nice find Ed. Too late to snap some more pics and post them? Side or bottom shots? I've not ever seen one out in the woods to my knowledge and am curious...

Thanks...

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:46 am   #3
chantyman
Southern, Ohio USA

The woods I found the lobster in is hard clay soil. I believe the host to be a member of the Lactarius family. The lobsters you find up north are from the russula family so they are generally much larger. I have been hunting this woods for several years now and manage to get several meals worth of lobsters each season. I will have pink eggs in the morning. If you saute the lobsters in the same skillet you fix your eggs, the eggs will turn pink.

Attached is a photo of the under side.

Name:	under side of a lobster 003.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	6352  
Old Jun 26, 2009, 1:16 am   #4
chantyman
Southern, Ohio USA

For those wanting more information on the lobster mushroom, you can do a google search by tying in lobster mushrooms, when the summary page comes up click on the image block and you will have thirty some pages of lobster photos. When you click on each photo, they will have a article with it. You could spend hours reading about lobster mushrooms.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:38 pm   #5
chantyman
Southern, Ohio USA

I never find a large quantity where I found this one. The most will be a dozen or so. They seem to come up along on the trail in the woods. A patch will contain only 3-4 mushrooms.
They are usually in close proximity of a beech tree.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 2:40 pm   #6
chantyman
Southern, Ohio USA

I made another trip to the same woods. Today I collected two and I left about a half dozen to grow. They are coming up in three different areas now.

Name:	lobster22222.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	6353   Click image for larger version

Name:	lobster333333.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	6354  
Old Jun 30, 2009, 1:59 pm   #7
chantyman
Southern, Ohio USA

I made a third trip to the lobster woods and found four more. These were the ones I left to grow. They only made it to 1-2 inchers. I have never put the time in to see how fast they grow but it appears they mature in a few days. In this woods the black staining polypores are starting to appear.

I went to another woods looking for more lobsters and none were found. I did come across some boletes, redish browns top bright orange underneath, turn blue instantly when cut, some other boletes tan top slight brown underneath, they did not turn when cut. I do not ever intend to eat any, I never find any boltes in any quantity and most are riddle with bugs, They are fascinating to look at though.

I also found a lot of white corel and again I never read anywhere where people really enjoy corels of any kind, most articles recommend the opposite.

I took a few photo but I was not happy with the results and I did not want to load the board up with lousy photos.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:46 pm   #8
Bachflock
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Corals - grew up eating them Ed. However, haven't eaten them since high school and would have to sit and figure out what exactly I was eating before I tried it again. All I can tell you about the ones we at is we didn't start finding them until mid-September, they were exclusively terrestrial, and exclusively amongst hardwoods. There are so many others out there, I have since found out, that will make you sick that I am not in a rush to try them again! LOL I found some yellow corals last week growing off a dead log so I suspect they were probably a different species than those we found years ago. I've never eating a white coral - my dad used to call them "Goat's beard" but I don't know if that is a well known common name or just something he made up, etc.

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:35 pm   #9
chantyman
Southern, Ohio USA

I made another trip to the lobster woods and collected three more, two were in the 3-4 inch size. I had pink eggs for breakfast.

Last edited by chantyman; Jul 8, 2009 at 10:36 pm. Reason: grammer
Old Jul 12, 2009, 5:30 pm   #10
chantyman
Southern, Ohio USA

My area finally got some decent rain yesterday so I made a trip to the lobster woods and found about 12. Here are a couple photos.

Name:	lobster01.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	6376   Click image for larger version

Name:	lobster03.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	6377  

Tags
hypomyces lactifluorum, lobster mushroom